Calculating molar heat capacity from electron contribution

In summary: The correct answer is much smaller than 3R.In summary, the problem involves calculating the electron contribution to the molar heat capacity at constant volume, Cv, of Silver at 300 K. The result is expressed as a multiple of R, and the value of Cv is not due primarily to the electrons. The solution involves using the free electron model of metals to calculate the electron contribution to Cv.
kent davidge

Homework Statement

Silver has a Fermi energy of 5.48 eV. Calculate the electron contribution to the molar heat capacity at constant volume, Cv, of Silver at 300 K. Express your result as a multiple of R. Is the value of Cv due principally to the electrons? If not, to what is it due?

ans: 0.0233R

Homework Equations

I don't know.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I just don't know how to approach to this problem. Should I consider Silver as a solid? Or what? If so, then would Cv be 3R ? But how do I find a way of relate it to the energy of an electron?

Physics news on Phys.org
kent davidge said:
I just don't know how to approach to this problem.
What type (level) of course is the problem from? Most solid state texts would cover this topic.

Should I consider Silver as a solid?
Yes, but you are interested in the contribution to CV of just the free electrons in the solid. Have you studied the "free electron model" of metals?

Here is a concise treatment: https://web.njit.edu/~sirenko/Phys-446/Lecture7-SSP-2007.pdf You'll find a formula for calculating what you need.

If so, then would Cv be 3R ?
No. 3R is due to things inside the metal other than the electrons.

1. What is molar heat capacity?

Molar heat capacity is a measure of the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of one mole of a substance by one degree Celsius.

2. How is molar heat capacity calculated?

Molar heat capacity can be calculated by dividing the amount of heat energy absorbed by the substance by the change in temperature and the number of moles of the substance.

3. What is electron contribution to molar heat capacity?

Electron contribution to molar heat capacity refers to the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of the electrons in the substance. This is an important factor in determining the overall molar heat capacity of a substance.

4. How is electron contribution to molar heat capacity calculated?

The electron contribution to molar heat capacity can be calculated by multiplying the number of electrons in one mole of the substance by the specific heat capacity of the electrons and the change in temperature.

5. Why is calculating molar heat capacity from electron contribution important?

Calculating molar heat capacity from electron contribution is important because it allows for a more accurate and comprehensive understanding of the heat energy required to raise the temperature of a substance. This information can be useful in various fields such as materials science and thermodynamics.