Calculating Moment of Inertia for a Soldered Wire Wheel

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 7K views
Quincy
Messages
228
Reaction score
0
The problem statement
A stiff uniform wire of mass M0 and length L0 is cut, bent, and the parts soldered together so that it forms a circular wheel having four identical spokes coming out from the center. None of the wire is wasted, and you can neglect the mass of the solder. What is the moment of inertia of this wheel about an axle through its center perpendicular to the plane of the wheel?


Homework Equations


I (from end of rod) = mL^2/3


The Attempt at a Solution


Itotal = 4 * ((M0/4)(L0/4)^2)/3 =

M0L0^2/48 -- What am I doing wrong?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If it forms a circular wheel, it would form a hoop with 4 rods in it. You will need to get the radius of that circle which will also be the length of a rod in terms of L0
 
rock.freak667 said:
If it forms a circular wheel, it would form a hoop with 4 rods in it. You will need to get the radius of that circle which will also be the length of a rod in terms of L0

Should I assume that the hoop is a thin circular hoop whose moment of inertia is mr^2 when the axis of rotation is perpendicular?
 
Quincy said:
Should I assume that the hoop is a thin circular hoop whose moment of inertia is mr^2 when the axis of rotation is perpendicular?

I think that would be fine.