Calculating Moment of Inertia for Combined Shapes

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Hayden Leete
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Rotational
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Hayden Leete
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
https://scontent-syd1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfl1/v/t34.0-12/13015003_664975026975127_933044449_n.png?oh=0259712996d9a6dde812f6d8886f56b9&oe=5715CA95
So, it's straight forward enough to calculate the moment of inertia of basic planes with evenly distributed mass, but if I were to say glue the red and green plane together, how would I find the moment of inertia of the blue shape?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hayden Leete said:
how would I find the moment of inertia of the blue shape?
About what axis?

You can find the moment of inertia of each piece about the axis of choice, then just add them. (You'll need the parallel axis theorem.)
 
Doc Al said:
About what axis?

You can find the moment of inertia of each piece about the axis of choice, then just add them. (You'll need the parallel axis theorem.)

probably should have specified, the z axis, or the axis perpendicular to the plane. the axis of choice is the blue COM, and I don't know how to find the moment of inertia of each shape except with central axes (I don't know much in the world of rotational inertia)
 
actually you know what, through more googling and researching stuffs, I've figured it out. I've been trying to find somewhere to explain this to me for a while now, but I didn't know exactly what to search for until your reply, so thanks for that :biggrin: