Calculating Muzzle Speed with Embedded Bullet and Friction

• Thread starter chris568
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Example
In summary, the conversation revolves around solving a problem involving a bullet embedding itself in a block of wood and calculating the muzzle speed of the bullet. The use of energy and momentum is suggested to solve the problem, but the presence of two masses and the coefficient of friction adds complexity. The person seeking help is struggling with applying the concepts they know to this particular problem.
chris568
i really need help with this- i partially understand it, but I'm not sure exactly how to do this problem.

a 44 g bullet strikes and becomes embedded in a 1.54 kg block fo wood placed on a horizontal surface just in front of the gun. if the coefficient of friction between the block and surface is equal to .28 and the impact drives the block a distance of 18 m before it comes to rest, what was the muzzle speed of the bullet?

can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
use energy and momentum. what collison happens?

i realize that impulse equals force times the change in time, which equals momentum, but i don't know how to apply these when there are two masses, and the coefficient of friction is involved. in all my previous problems, the necessary info was less and easier... :-\

Related to Calculating Muzzle Speed with Embedded Bullet and Friction

1. What is the purpose of "Just one example question"?

The purpose of "Just one example question" is to provide a specific, concrete example that can be used to illustrate a concept or idea.

2. How do you come up with a good "Just one example question"?

To come up with a good "Just one example question", you should first identify the key concepts or ideas you want to illustrate. Then, think of a real-life scenario or situation where those concepts or ideas can be applied. Finally, craft a question that clearly and succinctly captures the essence of that scenario.

3. Can "Just one example question" be used in any field of science?

Yes, "Just one example question" can be used in any field of science. It is a versatile tool that can be adapted to various subjects and disciplines.

4. Why is "Just one example question" important in scientific research?

"Just one example question" is important in scientific research because it allows scientists to test and validate hypotheses, as well as communicate their findings to others in a clear and concise manner.

5. Is there a specific format or structure for "Just one example question"?

There is no specific format or structure for "Just one example question". However, it should be clear, concise, and relevant to the concepts or ideas being illustrated. It can be in the form of a multiple-choice question, a scenario-based question, or an open-ended question, depending on the purpose and target audience.