Calculating number of free electrons in metals

  • Thread starter Thread starter eforma
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Electrons Metals
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 5K views
eforma
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Hello everyone, I need your help on a question. The question is "calculate the number of free electrons per cubic centimeter (and per atom)for sodium from resistance data(relaxation time= 3.1Exp-14s)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Just use the formula for resisitvity. Probably you are using the Drude model.
And you need to look up the value of resistivity.
And better post this in the homework section.
 
nasu said:
Just use the formula for resisitvity. Probably you are using the Drude model.
And you need to look up the value of resistivity.
And better post this in the homework section.
Yea I was using the drude model. I know the value of resistivity of sodium to be 4.2Exp-6
 
nasu said:
Then what is your problem?
Some units won't hurt.
I was able to solve the 1st part but he second part (per atom) kind of eludes me
 
eforma said:
I was able to solve the 1st part but he second part (per atom) kind of eludes me
Oh, you can find the number of atoms per cubic cm from density and atomic mass.