Calculating of the heat dissipation of a LED

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
5 replies · 7K views
NJZFW
Messages
2
Reaction score
1
Hello Forum,

I write you with the challenge of calculation the heat dissipation of a LED.

The LED in question is http://www.seoulsemicon.com/en/product/spec/SZ5-M3-W0-00/22
a download of the datasheet is possible.

The LED binning is 290lm (W4, 5000K) at 700mA, the efficacy is 157lm/Watt,electrical

I think I need to convert der chart "relative radiant Power over wavelength [%]" in "spectral radiant Power (W/nm) [%]".
But Iam not sure how!

Thanks in advance!
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
At best, you can expect about 20% quantum efficiency from an LED.
The heat will therefore be greater than 80% of total power input.
You must run the LED cool for high efficiency, and for long life.
That suggests you should design for 100% heat generation.
Vf = 2.85 V. If = 700 mA.
Maximum heat generation is 2.85 * 0.7 = 2.0 watt.
At best, that might be a 20% overestimate.
 
Hi you two and thanks for the replies.

The cooling is already set, my task is to calculate if there will be overheating.
Roughly 400 of those LED's are used in a big floodlight.

What I need is basically the luminous efficacy of the LED (luminous flow/radiant flow). At this point I am quite sure the provided data in the datasheet is not enough to calculate that number.

My rough estimate of those LED is a luminous efficacy of 300lm/W which results in a energetic efficacy of roughly 40%. So about 60% of the total elctric power, dissipates a heat. Therefore it would be not expedient to use the assumption of 100%.

Once I figure it out I will write you share my information-
 
NJZFW said:
The cooling is already set, my task is to calculate if there will be overheating.
That sounds kind of backwards, no? Who "designed" the enclosure and cooling without knowing the power dissipation requirements?