Calculating Oxygen Mass and Leak in a Tank Using Ideal Gas Law

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
tweety24
Messages
12
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A welder fills a tank, volume 7.60 x 10^-2 m^3, with oxgyen (32.0 g/mol) at gauge pressure 3.25 x 10^5 Pa and temp. 36.0 degrees C. The tank has a small leak, and some of the oxygen leaks. When temp. is 22.4 degrees C, pressure of oxygen in tank is 1.80 x 10^5 Pa.

Find initial mass of oxygen.
Find mass of oxygen that leaked out.


Homework Equations



pV = nRT

The Attempt at a Solution



I understand that I need to find the answer to the first part in order to get the answer to the second part. I used the ideal gas law equation to solve the first part and got the answer to be 308 grams but it keeps telling me that's wrong.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Try converting the gauge pressure to absolute pressure by adding the atmospheric pressure to the gauge pressure.