Calculating Oxygen Volume in Hospital Tanks Using Ideal Gas Law

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
colton4286
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
Oxygen for hospital patients is kept in special tanks, where the oxgen has a pressure of 65.0 atm and a temp. of 288 K. The tanks are stored in a separate room, and the oxygen is pumped to the patient's room, where it is administered at a pressure of 1.00 atm and a temp. of 297 K. What volume does 1.00 m^3 of oxygen in the tanks occupy at the conditions in the patient's room?

What I did was solve for the # of mols (n) given the tank information: n= PV/RT and used this n value to solve for volume: V= nRT/P. But I got 67 m^3 which is a much larger number than I expected. Am I heading in the right direction on this problem? Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
That sounds exactly right.
Note that you don't actually have to solve for the number of moles, all you need to know is that it stays constant.

n = PV/RT and n is constant, therefore:
(PV/RT)1 = (PV/RT)2 where 1 and 2 correspond to before and after the pumping, i.e. 1 is at 65 atm 288K and 2 is at 1atm 297K.
Also R is constant, so you can cancel that out.

Cheers