Calculating P(Y<$\sqrt{X}$) for Joint PDF of X and Y

  • Thread starter Thread starter mynameisfunk
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
mynameisfunk
Messages
122
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Suppose that the joint pdf of [itex]X[/itex] and [itex]Y[/itex] is
[tex]f(x,y)= (8/3)xy , 0<x<1,0<y<2, x<y<2x[/tex]
Compute [tex]P(Y<\sqrt{X})[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


[tex]\int_0^1 \int_x^{\sqrt{x}} (8/3)xy dy dx = (4/3) \int_0^1 x - x^2 dx = 2/9[/tex]
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mynameisfunk said:

Homework Statement


Suppose that the joint pdf of [itex]X[/itex] and [itex]Y[/itex] is
[tex]f(x,y)= (8/3)xy , 0<x<1,0<y<2, x<y<2x[/tex]
Compute [tex]P(Y<\sqrt{X})[/tex]

Homework Equations




The Attempt at a Solution


[tex]\int_0^1 \int_x^{\sqrt{x}} (8/3)xy dy dx = (4/3) \int_0^1 x - x^2 dx = 2/9[/tex]

Wrong answer: start over. Be very careful about the integration region or regions---always draw a picture first, before writing down your integrals.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
I want to add to this post. Sorry for the double posting. I know this solution I posted above can't be right. I tried switching the order of integration from dydx to dxdy and I get 1/3. One of my classmates suggested doing a bivariate transformation, which I haven't tried but I am a little confused as to why I wouldn't be able to just go ahead and compute this directly.
 
Here is the picture I drew. Am I not drawing this right?
 
Attachments
  • IMG034.jpg
    IMG034.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 466
mynameisfunk said:
Here is the picture I drew. Am I not drawing this right?

Not quite right: for small x > 0 you have the wrong upper limit on y (but it is OK for larger x).
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person