Marginal PDFs for Joint PDF of X and Y

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the expected value of the sum of two random variables, X and Y, with a given joint pdf. The problem arises when attempting to find the marginal pdf of X, as the integral results in an undefined statement due to a division by zero. The solution is to properly evaluate the integral by taking the limit as the upper bound approaches infinity. The poster is advised to carefully show their work in order to receive help.
countzander

Homework Statement

Suppose that ∫X,Y(x,y) = λ2e-λ(x+y), 0 ≤ x, 0 ≤ y

Find E(X + Y)

Homework Equations

E(X + Y) = E(X) + E(Y)

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the expected vale of a sum is the sum of the expected values, I attempted to find the marginal pdfs of the joint pdf. But when calculating the integral for the marginal probability of X, pX(x) = ∫λ2e-λ(x+y) dy from 0 to ∞, the result is an undefined statement, division by zero.

Physics news on Phys.org
countzander said:

Homework Statement

Suppose that ∫X,Y(x,y) = λ2e-λ(x+y), 0 ≤ x, 0 ≤ y

Find E(X + Y)

Homework Equations

E(X + Y) = E(X) + E(Y)

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the expected vale of a sum is the sum of the expected values, I attempted to find the marginal pdfs of the joint pdf. But when calculating the integral for the marginal probability of X, pX(x) = ∫λ2e-λ(x+y) dy from 0 to ∞, the result is an undefined statement, division by zero.

Remember that an integral from 0 to ∞ is a limit of the integral from 0 to U as U → ∞. Just do the integral from 0 to U first, then take the limit. Do it properly, and do it carefully.

That's what I did. As I said in the original post, the limit is 0. But because the 0 appears in the denominator, the integral is undefined.

Does anyone know where the problem is?

countzander said:
That's what I did. As I said in the original post, the limit is 0. But because the 0 appears in the denominator, the integral is undefined.
I don't think so. Keep in mind that e-λ(x + y) = e-λx * e-λy, and that you are integrating with respect to y.

Also, both ex and e-x are positive for all real numbers x, so I think you might be confused about 0 appearing in the denominator.

countzander said:

Does anyone know where the problem is?

You need to show us your work, step-by-step. Otherwise, there is no way we can help you.

"Since the expected vale of a sum is the sum of the expected values, I attempted to find the marginal pdfs of the joint pdf. "

There is no need to do that.

statdad said:
"Since the expected vale of a sum is the sum of the expected values, I attempted to find the marginal pdfs of the joint pdf. "

There is no need to do that.

Agreed. But he ought to be ABLE to do it if he wants to pass the course.

1. What is the expected value of a sum?

The expected value of a sum is the average value that can be expected from a set of numbers when they are added together. It is calculated by taking the sum of all possible outcomes multiplied by their respective probabilities.

2. How is the expected value of a sum calculated?

The expected value of a sum is calculated by multiplying each possible outcome by its probability and then adding all of these values together. This can be written as: E(x) = x1p1 + x2p2 + ... + xn-1pn-1 + xnpn, where x represents the outcome and p represents the probability of that outcome.

3. What does the expected value of a sum tell us?

The expected value of a sum provides insight into what the average outcome will be when a set of numbers are added together. It helps to understand the likely outcomes and can be used to make informed decisions.

4. How is the expected value of a sum used in real life?

The expected value of a sum is used in various fields, such as economics, finance, and statistics. It can be applied to situations such as gambling, insurance, and investment decisions. For example, in finance, it is used to calculate the expected return on an investment.

5. What are some limitations of the expected value of a sum?

The expected value of a sum assumes that all outcomes are equally likely, which may not always be the case in real life. It also does not take into account the potential for extreme outcomes, also known as outliers. Additionally, it does not consider the timing of events, which can also affect the actual outcome. Therefore, it should be used with caution and in conjunction with other measures to make well-informed decisions.