Calculating parabola of drooping chain

In summary, the conversation discussed a problem involving a chain stretched between two posts and its relationship to a parabolic curve. The variables involved were identified as chain tension, chain weight, and chain angle. The relationship was unknown, but it was suggested that calculus could be used to calculate it. The conversation also mentioned a brain teaser involving the distance between two posts and a hanging chain, which was eventually solved by approximating the chain's path with a triangle. Some participants struggled to solve the problem, but eventually figured it out with the help of a pencil and paper.
Chi Meson said:
To think I nearly gave it away at the start. I actually had to edit out the answer before I posted. What a "benny" I would have been.
That sure would have been a shame. I would have missed out on the good chuckle. I don't feel bad about it either. I can't imagine how many times I've been the one to provide the chuckle.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hahaha, this is a good one. I actually started doing it when I just thought about it for a second.
I think I'll try it on people.

What... we're not people?

I mean OTHER people. sheesh.
[Warning: Paranoid thought ahead!] How am I to know you're not all crazy chat bots? hmmmm?

I think the LESS one knows about math and physics the MORE likely they are to come up with the solution quickly. If you crack a nut with a 5lb sledge hammer you don't get the meat.

Integral said:
I think the LESS one knows about math and physics the MORE likely they are to come up with the solution quickly. If you crack a nut with a 5lb sledge hammer you don't get the meat.

My girlfriend took about ten minutes with a ruler and caculator to see if her new bread tin had the same volume as her old one even though the shape was different. When I filled one with water, and then dumped it into the other she was not amused. That was one of the most stupid things I have ever done. -Mike

Time to find a new girlfriend! :wink:

- Warren

The only thing worse then losing an argument to a woman.. Is winning one.

Integral said:
The only thing worse then losing an argument to a woman.. Is winning one.

Integral,
This is obvious proof that you are not 17 years old.

chroot,
The girlfriend's ok, I'm the idiot.

Shawn,
Did you draw that triangle yet?
Mike