Calculating the equations of motion for particle in parabola

In summary: The particle will then slide all the way back to the right leg, and the velocity will be ##> 0##.In summary, at small times the equation of motion is given by:$$\frac{dx}{dt} = - \sqrt{\frac{2gh_0-2gx^2}{4x^2+1}}$$
Heatherfield
I made the problem up myself, so there might very well not be a rational answer that I like!

Homework Statement

A point-particle is released at height h0 is released into a parabola. The position of the particle is given by (x, y) and the acceleration due to gravity is g. All forms of friction etc are ignored.

Homework Equations

I wanted to see if I could solve this using just the energy equations. So these became:

Ek = ½mv2
Eg = mgy
E = Ek + Eg

Because the particle rolls down a parabola we also have

y = x2

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I figured out that the total energy must always be mghh. The masses now cancel out. Subsequently, the equation E = Ek + Eg gives you a pretty neat equation for the speed:

[tex] |v|^2 = 2gh_0 - 2gy [/tex]
So that
[tex] v_x^2 + v_y^2 = 2gh_0 - 2gy [/tex]

Using the chain rule allows you to change the dy/dt term into a dx/dt term. Dividing and taking the square root of both sides gives you:

[tex] \frac{dx}{dt} = \sqrt{\frac{2gh_0-2gx^2}{4x^2+1}} [/tex]

I put the formula into desmos and the velocity graph looked pretty reasonable! So I figured I'd try and obtain the equation of motion for the x-axis, but the integral is monstrous:

[tex]t = \int\sqrt{\frac{4x^2+1}{2gh_0-2gx^2}} dx[/tex]

I even took about thirty minutes to expand the fraction into something workable. It gives you a square root with four fractions, all four having a linear function in the denominator and a constant in the numerator and an additional constant. I put the functions into a desmos graph at https://www.desmos.com/calculator/6rgsilfnaz. This does not appear very workable. Wolfram Alpha also doesn't give a pretty and regular function as an answer.

Yet the problem is pretty simple. It's the equations of motion, using simple variables for something rolling down rather simple shape. Did I take a wrong turn somewhere? Am I supposed to end up with an implicit solution? Or is this really a problem that can only be solved numerically?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you start out by at least looking at the solution in the limit of short times. Try substituting ##x=-\sqrt{h-\lambda}##, where ##\lambda## is small.

Heatherfield said:
I made the problem up myself, so there might very well not be a rational answer that I like!

Homework Statement

A point-particle is released at height h0 is released into a parabola. The position of the particle is given by (x, y) and the acceleration due to gravity is g. All forms of friction etc are ignored.

Homework Equations

I wanted to see if I could solve this using just the energy equations. So these became:

Ek = ½mv2
Eg = mgy
E = Ek + Eg

Because the particle rolls down a parabola we also have

y = x2

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I figured out that the total energy must always be mghh. The masses now cancel out. Subsequently, the equation E = Ek + Eg gives you a pretty neat equation for the speed:

[tex] |v|^2 = 2gh_0 - 2gy [/tex]
So that
[tex] v_x^2 + v_y^2 = 2gh_0 - 2gy [/tex]

Using the chain rule allows you to change the dy/dt term into a dx/dt term. Dividing and taking the square root of both sides gives you:

[tex] \frac{dx}{dt} = \sqrt{\frac{2gh_0-2gx^2}{4x^2+1}} [/tex]

I put the formula into desmos and the velocity graph looked pretty reasonable! So I figured I'd try and obtain the equation of motion for the x-axis, but the integral is monstrous:

[tex]t = \int\sqrt{\frac{4x^2+1}{2gh_0-2gx^2}} dx[/tex]

I even took about thirty minutes to expand the fraction into something workable. It gives you a square root with four fractions, all four having a linear function in the denominator and a constant in the numerator and an additional constant. I put the functions into a desmos graph at https://www.desmos.com/calculator/6rgsilfnaz. This does not appear very workable. Wolfram Alpha also doesn't give a pretty and regular function as an answer.

Yet the problem is pretty simple. It's the equations of motion, using simple variables for something rolling down rather simple shape. Did I take a wrong turn somewhere? Am I supposed to end up with an implicit solution? Or is this really a problem that can only be solved numerically?

Already you are in trouble: from
$$\left( \frac{dx}{dt}\right)^2 = \frac{2gh_0-2gx^2}{4x^2+1}$$
you cannot conclude that
$$\frac{dx}{dt} = \sqrt{\frac{2gh_0-2gx^2}{4x^2+1}}$$
You need to input some physics in order to select the correct square root.

Suppose at ##t=0## the particle is to the right of the origin, at ##(x_0,x_0^2)## (where my ##x_0^2## is your ##h_0##). Starting from rest, the particle should slide down the parabola to the left (towards the origin), and so the velocity should become ##< 0##. That is, the correct DE (for small times, at least) is
$$\frac{dx}{dt} = - \sqrt{\frac{2gh_0-2gx^2}{4x^2+1}}$$
Perhaps this sign error is the source of your difficulties in obtaining a sensible solution.

Anyway, that DE persists up until the point in time ##t_1 > 0## where the particle attains the point ##(-x_0,x_0^2)## on the left leg of the parabola. Then the motion reverses, so for some time after ##t_1## your original DE is OK because the velocity should be positive. Then, at the next time ##t_2 > t_1## where point ##(x_0,x_0^2)## is attained, the sign is reversed again, etc.

Each DE is solvable as an implicit form involving Elliptic functions and other square-root functions, so is an analytical mess. However, numerical solutions should be easy to obtain using modern DE solving packages.

There is one final difficulty, however: from the DEs above, when ##x = x_0## the solution is ##x(t) = x_0## for all ##t## (that is, ##dx/dt## starts at 0 and remains there). To get started you need to look at a very short initial time interval and use the known force to get ##x(\Delta t)< x_0## (for very small ##\Delta t > 0##), then start the numerical solution from ##t = \Delta t## with known initial condition ##x(\Delta t) < x_0##.

Likes Douglas Sunday

1. What is a particle in parabola?

A particle in parabola refers to a point mass moving in a curved path that follows the shape of a parabola. This can occur in physics and mathematics, where the acceleration of the particle is directly proportional to its distance from a fixed point called the focus.

2. How do you calculate the equations of motion for a particle in parabola?

The equations of motion for a particle in parabola can be calculated using the principles of classical mechanics, specifically using the equations of motion for a projectile. This involves determining the initial position, velocity, and acceleration of the particle, as well as the effects of external forces such as gravity and air resistance.

3. What is the relationship between the equations of motion and the path of a particle in parabola?

The equations of motion describe the mathematical relationship between the position, velocity, and acceleration of a particle in parabola. By solving these equations, we can determine the exact path that the particle will follow, including its position at any given time.

4. Can the equations of motion be used to predict the future position of a particle in parabola?

Yes, the equations of motion can be used to predict the future position of a particle in parabola. By solving the equations, we can determine the position of the particle at any given time in the future, assuming that the initial conditions and external factors remain constant.

5. Are there any real-world applications for calculating the equations of motion for a particle in parabola?

Yes, there are many real-world applications for calculating the equations of motion for a particle in parabola. This includes predicting the trajectory of projectiles, analyzing the motion of planets and satellites in orbit, and designing roller coasters and other amusement park rides.