1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating the equations of motion for particle in parabola

1. May 8, 2017 #1
    I made the problem up myself, so there might very well not be a rational answer that I like!
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A point-particle is released at height h0 is released into a parabola. The position of the particle is given by (x, y) and the acceleration due to gravity is g. All forms of friction etc are ignored.

2. Relevant equations
    I wanted to see if I could solve this using just the energy equations. So these became:

Ek = ½mv2
    Eg = mgy
    E = Ek + Eg

Because the particle rolls down a parabola we also have

y = x2

3. The attempt at a solution
    First, I figured out that the total energy must always be mghh. The masses now cancel out. Subsequently, the equation E = Ek + Eg gives you a pretty neat equation for the speed:

[tex] |v|^2 = 2gh_0 - 2gy [/tex]
    So that
    [tex] v_x^2 + v_y^2 = 2gh_0 - 2gy [/tex]

Using the chain rule allows you to change the dy/dt term into a dx/dt term. Dividing and taking the square root of both sides gives you:

[tex] \frac{dx}{dt} = \sqrt{\frac{2gh_0-2gx^2}{4x^2+1}} [/tex]

I put the formula into desmos and the velocity graph looked pretty reasonable! So I figured I'd try and obtain the equation of motion for the x-axis, but the integral is monstrous:

[tex]t = \int\sqrt{\frac{4x^2+1}{2gh_0-2gx^2}} dx[/tex]

I even took about thirty minutes to expand the fraction into something workable. It gives you a square root with four fractions, all four having a linear function in the denominator and a constant in the numerator and an additional constant. I put the functions into a desmos graph at https://www.desmos.com/calculator/6rgsilfnaz. This does not appear very workable. Wolfram Alpha also doesn't give a pretty and regular function as an answer.

Yet the problem is pretty simple. It's the equations of motion, using simple variables for something rolling down rather simple shape. Did I take a wrong turn somewhere? Am I supposed to end up with an implicit solution? Or is this really a problem that can only be solved numerically?

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2017 #2
    Why don't you start out by at least looking at the solution in the limit of short times. Try substituting ##x=-\sqrt{h-\lambda}##, where ##\lambda## is small.

4. May 8, 2017 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Already you are in trouble: from
    $$\left( \frac{dx}{dt}\right)^2 = \frac{2gh_0-2gx^2}{4x^2+1}$$
    you cannot conclude that
    $$\frac{dx}{dt} = \sqrt{\frac{2gh_0-2gx^2}{4x^2+1}}$$
    You need to input some physics in order to select the correct square root.

Suppose at ##t=0## the particle is to the right of the origin, at ##(x_0,x_0^2)## (where my ##x_0^2## is your ##h_0##). Starting from rest, the particle should slide down the parabola to the left (towards the origin), and so the velocity should become ##< 0##. That is, the correct DE (for small times, at least) is
    $$\frac{dx}{dt} = - \sqrt{\frac{2gh_0-2gx^2}{4x^2+1}}$$
    Perhaps this sign error is the source of your difficulties in obtaining a sensible solution.

Anyway, that DE persists up until the point in time ##t_1 > 0## where the particle attains the point ##(-x_0,x_0^2)## on the left leg of the parabola. Then the motion reverses, so for some time after ##t_1## your original DE is OK because the velocity should be positive. Then, at the next time ##t_2 > t_1## where point ##(x_0,x_0^2)## is attained, the sign is reversed again, etc.

Each DE is solvable as an implicit form involving Elliptic functions and other square-root functions, so is an analytical mess. However, numerical solutions should be easy to obtain using modern DE solving packages.

There is one final difficulty, however: from the DEs above, when ##x = x_0## the solution is ##x(t) = x_0## for all ##t## (that is, ##dx/dt## starts at 0 and remains there). To get started you need to look at a very short initial time interval and use the known force to get ##x(\Delta t)< x_0## (for very small ##\Delta t > 0##), then start the numerical solution from ##t = \Delta t## with known initial condition ##x(\Delta t) < x_0##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted