Calculating Percentage Change in Kinetic Energy with Increased Speed

  • Thread starter Thread starter dimens
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Calculus Change
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
dimens
Messages
43
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


The kinetic energy K of a body of mass m is moving with speed v is given by..

K = 1/2mv^2

If a body's speed is increased by 2%, what is the approximate percentage change in it's kinetic energy...


The Attempt at a Solution



Δy ≈ f'(x) Δx

... f'(K) = mv Δx

mv* 2?

?

Don't know how to find the other values. Lol
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi dimens. Let's write the equation: E= ½mv²

and we are asked to consider the case where (∆v)/v = 0.02

You have determined dE/dv = m⋅v

and we will approximate the actual ∆E/∆v by using dE/dv.

So far I have just restated what you provided. Can you complete this now?

Solution:
We use the equation: ∆E/∆v = ... http://smilearchive.com/s/cwm/3dlil/idea.gif
 
sorry i don't really get where you get the other variables from? E/0.02?
 
dimens said:
sorry i don't really get where you get the other variables from? E/0.02?
I just preferred E for K.E. because I thought E sounded more like an energy symbol! :smile:

As for where did I get that 0.02 from? I got it here:
If a body's speed is increased by 2%

:wink:
 
but the answer is 4% i don't know where to get the other variables from :s
 
We don't need to get any more variables, we have all that is needed. The hard work has already been done. :smile: All that remains is some algebraic manipulation. So go back to my first post, follow through the steps as I've written them, and see whether you can complete the equation where I've indicated.