Calculating distance from speed

In summary, the lower and upper estimates for the distance traveled during the three seconds are 32.45 and 42.9 ft, respectively.
GaussianSurface

Homework Statement

The speed of a runner increased during the first three seconds of a race. Her speed at half-second intervals is given in the table. Find lower and upper estimates for the distance that she traveled during these three seconds.
It follows the image's square.

Homework Equations

I found that:
Σf(x1) (Δx) + f(x2) (Δx) ... f(xn) (Δx)
and by relating it to the distance which is the d = velocity ⋅ time, I can assume that it is similar

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the lower and a friend of mine the upper which is correct but I still have doubts about how to compute the upper distance.
For the lower, since I know that it changes 1/2 in 3 seconds I can replace it by a Δt=0.5 and multiply the velocities by Δt which is the change it suffers constantly.
So (0)(0.5) + (6.3)(0.5) + (9.5)(0.5) + (13.3)(0.5) + (17)(0.5) + (18.8)(0.5) = 32.45 ft which is the LOWER and it is actually correct, I got all the points but when I am doing the ''UPPER'' I start multiplying all the velocities by all the times which I think I'm not correct and here is my first question, when I multiply all the times by all the velocities, am I getting the full distance in 3 seconds? I know it is not on the task but I just wanted to know.
(0)(0.5) + (6.3)(0.5) + (9.5)(0.5) + (13.3)(0.5) + (17)(0.5) + (18.8)(0.5) + 20.9(3.0) = 42.9 ft
And the most important question why for the ''UPPER'' distance the last velocity is multiplied by Δt=0.5 and I get the UPPER, why just a velocity differentiates the LOWER from the UPPER, I will really appreciate you can answer my doubts.
Sketch.png

Attachments

• Sketch.png
    Sketch.png
    6.9 KB · Views: 799
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
GaussianSurface said:

Homework Statement

The speed of a runner increased during the first three seconds of a race. Her speed at half-second intervals is given in the table. Find lower and upper estimates for the distance that she traveled during these three seconds.
It follows the image's square.

Homework Equations

I found that:
Σf(x1) (Δx) + f(x2) (Δx) ... f(xn) (Δx)
and by relating it to the distance which is the d = velocity ⋅ time, I can assume that it is similar

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the lower and a friend of mine the upper which is correct but I still have doubts about how to compute the upper distance.
For the lower, since I know that it changes 1/2 in 3 seconds I can replace it by a Δt=0.5 and multiply the velocities by Δt which is the change it suffers constantly.
So (0)(0.5) + (6.3)(0.5) + (9.5)(0.5) + (13.3)(0.5) + (17)(0.5) + (18.8)(0.5) = 32.45 ft which is the LOWER and it is actually correct, I got all the points but when I am doing the ''UPPER'' I start multiplying all the velocities by all the times which I think I'm not correct and here is my first question, when I multiply all the times by all the velocities, am I getting the full distance in 3 seconds? I know it is not on the task but I just wanted to know.
(0)(0.5) + (6.3)(0.5) + (9.5)(0.5) + (13.3)(0.5) + (17)(0.5) + (18.8)(0.5) + 20.9(3.0) = 42.9 ft
And the most important question why for the ''UPPER'' distance the last velocity is multiplied by Δt=0.5 and I get the UPPER, why just a velocity differentiates the LOWER from the UPPER, I will really appreciate you can answer my doubts.
View attachment 218314
Did you graph the points in the table?
The distance will be the area under the graph of velocity vs. time. The lower and upper estimates are probably obtained using rectangles that respectively underestimate and overestimate the are (i.e., distance).
Since the velocity appears to be steadily increasing, rectangles using the left endpoint of each time interval will underestimate the distance, and rectangles that use the right endpoint of each time interval will overestimate the distance. There are probably examples in your textbook that illustrate what I'm talking about.

1. How do you calculate distance from speed?

Distance can be calculated by multiplying the speed by the time. The formula for distance is distance = speed x time.

2. What units should be used for speed and time?

Speed is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h). Time is usually measured in seconds (s) or hours (h).

3. What if the speed is given in miles per hour (mph)?

If the speed is given in miles per hour, it can be converted to either m/s or km/h by using the conversion factors: 1 mph = 0.44704 m/s and 1 mph = 1.60934 km/h.

4. Is it possible to calculate distance if only the speed and distance are known?

No, it is not possible to calculate distance if only the speed and distance are known. Time is also needed in order to calculate distance.

5. Can distance be calculated if the speed is not constant?

Yes, distance can still be calculated if the speed is not constant. However, the calculation will be more complex and may require the use of calculus or other mathematical methods.