Calculating Pressure Change in Gaseous Reaction: CO2 and BaO

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
lucky_star
Messages
33
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A sample of CO2(g) is contained in a 5.00 L flask at 350 K and 3.00 atm pressure. When 30.66 g of BaO(s) was added to the flask, this reaction took place:
BaO(s) + CO2(g) => BaCO3(s)
Calculate the pressure in the the vessel after the reaction was complete. assume that the temperature is constant and the volume of the solid product is neglegible.

Homework Equations


PV=nRT

The Attempt at a Solution


First, I tried to find the number of moles of CO2
nCO2= PV/RT
nCO2= (3.00atm*5.00L)/ 0.0821*350K
nCO2= 0.522 mol CO2

Then, should I find the number of moles of the BaO?
nBaO= 30.66g/153.3g/mol of BaO =0.20 mol

Now, I stuck, what can I do with all variables that I found? Please help.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looking at the reaction equation - how much CO2 reacted with 0.20 mol of BaO? How much CO2 was left?
 
Borek said:
Looking at the reaction equation - how much CO2 reacted with 0.20 mol of BaO? How much CO2 was left?

Wow, I got the answer. Thank you so much!