1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating pressure / energy difference confusion

1. Feb 18, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The electron density per area, ##N## for a gas layer of thickness 10 cm can be determined
    $$n = k \times p \times 2.47 \times 10^{19}$$
    For each adjacent sets of pressure data using Matlab, calculate the average energy in keV, the pressure difference in hPa, the energy difference in keV and then evaluate ##-\frac{\Delta E}{\Delta p}## in keV/hPa. Plot this as a function of the average energy, along with the theoretical energy loss, that can be calculated using analysis based on equation
    $$-\frac{dE}{dx}=\frac{4\pi n Z^{2}}{m_{e}v^{2}} \left ( \frac{e^{2}}{4 \pi \epsilon_{0}} \right )^{2} ln\left ( \frac{2m_{e}v^{2}}{I} \right )$$
    Using ##\mu = \frac{m_{e}}{m_{He}} = \frac{511 keV}{3.727 GeV} = 1.371 \times 10^{-4}## and ##Z = 2##.
    $$-\frac{dE}{dx}=\frac{2\pi Z^{2}}{\mu E} \frac{N(p)}{p} \left ( \frac{e^{2}}{4 \pi \epsilon_{0}^{2}} \right )^{2} ln\left ( \mu \frac{4E}{I} \right )$$
    $$-\frac{dE}{dp}=\frac{k}{E} \times 2.41\times10^{-29} \frac{J^{2}}{hPa} \times ln\left ( 5.848\times10^{-4} \frac{E}{I} \right )$$
    which can be written in an equivalent form
    $$-\frac{dE}{dp}=\frac{k}{E} \times 940 \frac{keV^{2}}{hPa} \times ln\left ( 5.848\times10^{-4} \frac{E}{I} \right )$$
    which is suitable for the creation of a theoretical curve that can be compared to the experimental data by plotting them on the same axes.

You need to present your data in the form of a Bragg plot, which shows both
    the energy and differential energy loss as a function of pressure, as shown by the exemplar data in figure 3.2

2. Relevant equations
    All above...

3. The attempt at a solution

Following the lab script has always been the most difficult part of the course for me for some reason. Often I can't figure out what is that I am supposed to do or even what I've just done. Perhaps someone here will be able to make sense of this...

So far I have 2 tables(one for Helium and one for air) with 4 rows each(Max # of impulses, Energy(keV), Average energy(keV) and Pressure(mbar)).

How / why / between what pressure difference does it want me to calculate?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2017 #2
    Ok I think I'm getting there, painfully slowly... I need to plot alpha energy and energy loss as a function of pressure. What a way to spend a Saturday night...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted