Calculating ratio c/a as 1.633 in HCP?

• Thread starter mrmonkah
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ratio
In summary, the conversation is about solving a geometry problem related to the length and height of a cell and the position of a central atom. The participants discuss various formulas and equations, including Pythagoras' theorem, to find the solution. They also touch on the concept of close-packed spheres in a triangular lattice. Eventually, one of the participants finds the correct ratio between the cell length and the distance between atoms.
mrmonkah
Hi All,

This is a similar post to one before, but that didn't offer much more than i know already.

a = width of cell - depth of cell
c= height of cell
c/2 = height of central atom

So i have various formula for a few isosceles lengths, namely a/2*cos30 for the base line of the vertical right-angle triangle connecting to the 'central' atom. and c/2 for the line connecting the base to the atom its self.

I am simply having trouble relating the two unknowns from here. i have tired pythagoras but can't yield anything suitable. Any hints?

Dan

Physics news on Phys.org
Im currently working on the same problem.

Apparently there is a slightly older thread but it is full of confusion, namely poorly written equations and explanations, probably due to a language barrier.

I found a ratio of c/a = 7/6 = 1.166, so I must have did something incorrect. For a geometry problem this question appears to be surprisingly tricky.

First I found the length l to the midpoint of the isoceles triangle in the plane, cos30 = (a/2)*l,
ie l = 0.577a.

Next I used Pythagora's Theorem to set an equation containing c and a:
(c/2)^2 = [(a/3)+(a/3)+(c/2)]^2 + (0.577a)^2

Then I solved for c/a. I got 7/6. I would appreciate any help

A couple things I did wrong... I meant to say equilateral triangle in the plane.

Also, Pythagora's Theorm should be:
[(a/3)^2 + (a/3)^2 + (c/2)^2)]^2 = l^2 + (c/2)^2

...but it still doesn't work out. Is there something I am completely missing in this proof? I've tried plugging in the lattice constants for the primitive lattice vectors a1, a2, and a3 into the vector a1/3 + a2/3 + a3/2 and then took the absolute value of that vector to find its magnitude, but I still don't end up with anything sensible.

Well, first problem: c/2 is not the height of the central atom. Otherwise the problem would be trivial, c = 2a. (Remember, every atom in hcp is equivalent to every other one.) Unless you mean the position of the atom, not its height.

Look at how the layers stack. In one layer, you have a close packed spheres forming a triangular lattice. The atoms in the next layer sit in the "holes" above the first layer. That is, if you look at a single equilateral triangle in one layer, then in the next layer there is an atom sitting above the center of that equilateral triangle. The position of this atom is [tex](a/2, 1/(2\sqrt{3}) a, z)[/tex], if you have an atom at the origin. (Center of equilateral triangle = average of the location of points. You have one at (0,0,0) and one at (a,0,0) and one more that is easy to find geometrically.) The distance between the atom at [tex](a/2, 1/(2\sqrt{3}) a, z)[/tex] and any of the others should be a. Then you know that z = c/2.

I worked it out and found my magic ratio.

I understand that c != 2a, because the stacking constant is independent of the spacing of the equilateral triangle in the plane.

If we define each point in the lattice to be a sphere of radius r, such that the each sphere touches its nearest neighbour, then a = 2r.

And we know the primitive vectors of a hcp structure is:
a1 = a xhat = 2r xhat (1);
a3 = c zhat (2);
and define the coplanar vector as h = a1/3 + a2/3 + a3/2,

so that h^2 = |1/3(a1 + a2 + (a3/2)|^2 = (2r)^2 = 4r^2
and from (1) and (2) above: h^2 = |1/3(a1 + a2 + c/2)|^2 = a^2.

Work out |a1 + a2|, then solve for c/a.So there wasnt any need for Pythagora this time

1. What is ratio c/a in HCP?

Ratio c/a in HCP refers to the ratio between the height of the c-axis and the length of the a-axis in a hexagonal close-packed crystal structure. It is commonly used to describe the shape and dimensions of HCP crystals.

2. How do you calculate ratio c/a in HCP?

To calculate ratio c/a in HCP, you divide the height of the c-axis by the length of the a-axis. For example, if the c-axis is 1.633 units tall and the a-axis is 1 unit long, the ratio c/a would be 1.633.

3. Why is ratio c/a important in HCP crystals?

Ratio c/a is important in HCP crystals because it affects the properties and behavior of the crystal. It can affect things like the strength, ductility, and thermal conductivity of the crystal. It also plays a role in determining the crystal lattice structure and the arrangement of atoms within the crystal.

4. Can the ratio c/a value change in HCP crystals?

Yes, the ratio c/a value can change in HCP crystals. The value is dependent on factors such as temperature, pressure, and impurities in the crystal. Changes in these factors can lead to changes in the crystal structure and therefore, the ratio c/a value.

5. How is ratio c/a related to the unit cell volume in HCP crystals?

Ratio c/a is related to the unit cell volume in HCP crystals because it is one of the factors that determines the volume of the unit cell. The unit cell volume is calculated by multiplying the length of the a-axis squared by the height of the c-axis. Therefore, a change in the ratio c/a value will result in a change in the unit cell volume.