1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating refractive index using lens

1. Feb 21, 2012 #1
    we can calculate the refractive index of liquids like water using a converging lens and mirror by the standard method . r.index of water is less than that of lens(glass) . now taking mercury, whose r.index is > glass, can we do the same experiment and find its r.index ?
    i believe the answer is no.. coz there the rays get diverged and hence no real image is formed. but i dont think it will always diverge ?? any in sight ?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2012 #2

xts

Refractive index of mercury? It seems to be too opaque to have well defined refractive index (at least if you take r.i. in its classical meaning).

4. Feb 21, 2012 #3
    oh ya.. mercury is a bad example.. lets say any other transparent liquid having r index > that of glass.

5. Feb 21, 2012 #4

xts

So now I have no idea what do you mean by "standard method".
    There are lots of methods to measure R.I. which may be used for liquids of both higher and lower R.I. than the one of glass.

6. Feb 21, 2012 #5
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook