1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Index of Refraction Measurement Uncertainty

1. Jul 22, 2015 #1
    Hello All,
    I am having some issues with calculating the measurement uncertainty when there is a mismatch in the index of refraction between a fluid and an interface. If am using an unobtrusive measurement technique such as Laser Doppler Velocimetry, how would I be able to quantify the uncertainty associated with a slight mismatch in the index of refraction, such as glass and water. From LDV, I can get a velocity measurement, but how would I be able to quantify the uncertainty in the velocity measurement given that there is some difference in the two mediums. Given that I know the two refractive indexes of the mediums and the thickness of the material, how can I calculate the uncertainty?

If anyone has any references to this subject or hints, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2015 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I'm a little confused- LDV measures the doppler shift of scattered light; because the window/fluid interface does not move, it's not clear why you think it would introduce uncertainty.

4. Jul 23, 2015 #3
    Hi Andy,
    The uncertainty is brought about from the mismatched IOR and the curvature of my model. Because both of these issues, my measuring volume is slightly altered and affects my near wall measurements. If you need some further information, I can go into more detail.

Thanks for your time.

5. Jul 23, 2015 #4

Dale

Staff: Mentor

How does the measured velocity depend on the indexes of refraction?

In general, if you have some ##f(a,b,c)## and if a, b, and c have some uncertainties then you can calculate the uncertainty in f. But you have to know that function.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook