Calculating Resultant Force of F3 in 3D Space

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 11K views
Bluestribute
Messages
192
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


If the coordinate direction angles for F3 = 650lb are α = 110∘, β = 25∘ and γ = 76∘, determine the magnitude of the resultant force acting on the eyebolt.

FIGURE:
p80.jpg



Homework Equations


?


The Attempt at a Solution


?

New semester, and so happy to start with a statics instructor I can't understand or follow . . . I seriously don't even know where to begin and neither does anyone else (we've tried lots, multiple times). I know there's some formulas like cos^2α + cos^2β + cos^2γ = 1 or something, but I don't even know where I would start.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The direction angles are related to the resultant force and axial components by the relationships:

##cos(\alpha) = \frac{F_{3_x}}{F_3}##
##cos(\beta) = \frac{F_{3_y}}{F_3}##
##cos(\gamma) = \frac{F_{3_z}}{F_3}##
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
Ah, learning more here than so far in class. Love it. Using those relationships, I got the vector components of F3, and using trig, got the vector components of F1 and F2, added the components together, and took the magnitude. Done √.

And the rest of the problem is just asking for alpha, beta, and gamma, which I now know! Thanks! I'll probably be back with a new thread in a bit unless the next problem uses the same relationships . . .
 
To find F1
700cos(30)= 606 i
700sin(30)= 350 j
700cos(90)= 0 k