Finding Resultant Force using Component Method

In summary: If you can tell me what you did in the lab then I can give you a more definitive answer.In summary, the students were given a force table lab where they had to find the resultant force using the component method. They were instructed to express each force, F1, F2, and F3, in unit vector notation and then use the component method to obtain the resultant force vector, Fcomp, in unit vector notation. After converting the masses to kilograms, the forces were expressed in unit vector notation as F1 = 2.94cos30i + 2.94sin30j, F2 = -4.41cos70i + 4.41sin70j, and F3 = -3.92
jeff12

Homework Statement

This is the force table lab that we are doing.

[itex]F _1 = 300g @ 30^o[/itex]
[itex]F _2 = 450g @ 110^o[/itex]
[itex]F _3 = 400g @ 230^o[/itex]
[itex]F _4 = 270g @ 298^o[/itex]

Finding resultant force using Component Method

1. Express each force F1, F2, and F3 in unit vector notation. Take the origin to be at the center of the force table (at pivot point) with the +x axis along [itex]0^o[/itex] and +y-axis along [itex]90^o[/itex].

2. Use the component method to obtain the resultant force vector Fcomp in unit vector notation. Calculate the magnitude and direction.

Homework Equations

sinθ=opp/hyp
cosθ=adj/hyp
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

His directions are kind of confusing to me.
For the step 1 I found:

I converted the mass into kg and then found the force.

[itex]F _1 = 2.94N [/itex]
[itex]F _2 = -4.41N [/itex]
[itex]F _3 = -3.92N [/itex]

Then I express each force into unit vector notation.

[itex]F _1 = 2.94cos30i +2.94sin30j [/itex]
[itex]F _2 = -4.41cos70i +4.41sin70j [/itex]
[itex]F _3 = -3.92cos50i -3.92sin50j [/itex]

Did I do this part right? Please check it for me.

I don't know where to start for step 2. Do I find F4?

Physics news on Phys.org
jeff12 said:

Homework Statement

This is the force table lab that we are doing.

[itex]F _1 = 300g @ 30^o[/itex]
[itex]F _2 = 450g @ 110^o[/itex]
[itex]F _3 = 400g @ 230^o[/itex]
[itex]F _4 = 270g @ 298^o[/itex]

Finding resultant force using Component Method

1. Express each force F1, F2, and F3 in unit vector notation. Take the origin to be at the center of the force table (at pivot point) with the +x axis along [itex]0^o[/itex] and +y-axis along [itex]90^o[/itex].

2. Use the component method to obtain the resultant force vector Fcomp in unit vector notation. Calculate the magnitude and direction.

Homework Equations

sinθ=opp/hyp
cosθ=adj/hyp
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

His directions are kind of confusing to me.
For the step 1 I found:

I converted the mass into kg and then found the force.

[itex]F _1 = 2.94N [/itex]
[itex]F _2 = -4.41N [/itex]
[itex]F _3 = -3.92N [/itex]
You should leave the signs off of the force magnitudes. Force magnitudes are always positive (absolute) values. It's the information from the angles where you form the components that will turn them into vectors with direction.
Then I express each force into unit vector notation.

[itex]F _1 = 2.94cos30i +2.94sin30j [/itex]
[itex]F _2 = -4.41cos70i +4.41sin70j [/itex]
[itex]F _3 = -3.92cos50i -3.92sin50j [/itex]
Okay, I see you've sorted out how to use the trig functions with the given angles. Well done. At this point you should reduce the vectors to purely numerical component values. That is, evaluate each component, getting rid of the trig.
I don't know where to start for step 2. Do I find F4?
The instructions don't mention F4 at this point, so I'd just combine F1,F2, and F3 into a resultant. Do you no how to add vectors in unit vector form?

gneill said:
The instructions don't mention F4 at this point, so I'd just combine F1,F2, and F3 into a resultant. Do you no how to add vectors in unit vector form?

Is the formula:
R=A+B+C which would be R=(F1x+F1y)i+(F2x+F2y)j+(F3x+F3y)k?

jeff12 said:
Is the formula:
R=A+B+C which would be R=(F1x+F1y)i+(F2x+F2y)j+(F3x+F3y)k?
No, you only add like with like. That is, sum all the x-components to yield the net x component, sum all the y-components to yield the net y-component,...

Okay,
R=(-1.48)i+(2.61)j
Magnitude:
R=2.99
but what is the direction? Is that right?

I just want to clarify the R that we found is considered the F4 but found mathematically right? Because in the lab we were given F1, F2, ,F3 and we had to find F4 using the weights.

jeff12 said:
Okay,
R=(-1.48)i+(2.61)j
Magnitude:
R=2.99
but what is the direction? Is that right?
Looks okay. The direction is encoded in the components. Just sketch the resultant using the components and you'll see the direction. You can use these rectangular components to work out the magnitude and the angle if you want the polar version of the vector. Oh, always include units on results! That should be R=[(-1.48)i+(2.61)j] N, and |R| = 2.99 N.
I just want to clarify the R that we found is considered the F4 but found mathematically right?
I don't know, I wasn't in your lab :smile: But it seems a likely scenario that some fourth force was employed to balance the force table setup. Did you have to play with a fourth force to try to find an equilibrium? If so, in order to balance the resultant of the forces F1 through F3 you'd have to apply a force of the same magnitude as the resultant but in the opposite direction (i.e. oppose it equally).

Likes jeff12

1. What is the component method for finding resultant force?

The component method is a technique used in physics to find the resultant force of two or more forces acting on an object. It involves breaking down each force into its horizontal and vertical components and then using trigonometry to find the magnitude and direction of the resultant force.

2. How do you determine the horizontal and vertical components of a force?

To determine the horizontal and vertical components of a force, you can use the trigonometric functions sine and cosine. The horizontal component is equal to the magnitude of the force multiplied by the cosine of the angle it makes with the horizontal axis. The vertical component is equal to the magnitude of the force multiplied by the sine of the angle.

3. What is the equation for finding the magnitude of the resultant force?

The magnitude of the resultant force can be found using the Pythagorean theorem. This states that the magnitude of the resultant force is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the horizontal and vertical components of the individual forces.

4. How do you find the direction of the resultant force?

The direction of the resultant force can be found using trigonometry. You can use the tangent function to find the angle between the resultant force and the horizontal axis. Alternatively, if you have already found the horizontal and vertical components, you can use inverse trigonometric functions to find the angle.

5. Can the component method be used for more than two forces?

Yes, the component method can be used for any number of forces. Simply break down each force into its horizontal and vertical components and then add all the horizontal components together and all the vertical components together. The resultant force can then be found using the same equations as for two forces.