1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating resultant force of friction from rope and bar.

1. Sep 26, 2012 #1
    Hello,

I hope this is a suitable forum, it's a million miles from homework but it may be on the same sort of level.

A picture is worth a thousand words so please have a look at the attached picture. When the rope is pulled there isn't just the issue of gravity, but also of the friction of the rope over the metal bar. What I am wanting to calculate is the actual force that must be applied to stop the weight from falling, taking into account the friction.

I really don't know where to start with this, but from the searching that I've done, this page seems to be using diagrams and words that seems applicable. http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/bollard-force-d_1296.html

The equation given is:
    S = F e-μα
    Where:
    S = effort force in the rope (N)
    F = load (N)
    e = 2.718
    μ = friction coefficient (approximately 0.3 - 0.5 is common for a rope around a steel or cast iron bollard)
    α = angle where the rope is in contact with the bollard (radians)

So, plugging in the following data (assuming the rope is only in contact with half the bollard):

F = 300N
    e = 2.718
    μ = 0.4
    α = ∏

I get:

300 * ( 2.718 -0.4 * ∏ ) = 85.39 N

Which seems to imply that the force that is needed to stop the weight from falling is 214.6 1N (300-85.39). However, I've got a feeling that I might be messing up the calculation, would somebody be kind enough to take a look for me?

Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2012 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Your work seems okay to me. Note that the equation in question is also known as the Capstan Equation; The Wikipedia article for it looks pretty clear if you're looking for additional info.

4. Sep 26, 2012 #3
    Thank you very much! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook