Sum of series with 1/2^n and 1/3^n terms

  • Thread starter Thread starter Lance WIlliam
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Series Sum
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 1K views
Lance WIlliam
Messages
47
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



[tex]\Sigma[/tex] (1/2^n+1/3^n)
n=1

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I get 7/2
by using a/1-r to both than adding...what am I doing wrong

2+3/2= 7/2
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Lance WIlliam said:

Homework Statement



[tex]\Sigma[/tex] (1/2^n+1/3^n)
n=1

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I get 7/2
by using a/1-r to both than adding...what am I doing wrong

2+3/2= 7/2

You are using a/(1-r) with a=1. a is supposed to be the first term in the series. The sum starts at n=1.
 
The standard geometric series starts at n=0. These are not geometric series because they are missing the "n=0" term. Of course, for each of the two series, that would just be 1/20= 1 and 1/30= 1. Since those terms are missing, you need to subtract 2 from your result.