Calculating Speed at Time of Collision

In summary, the conversation discusses a car accident involving two vehicles, Car A and Car B. Car A was traveling west at 5 mph and Car B was traveling south at an unknown speed. Car B struck Car A on the rear quarter panel, causing Car A to rotate 90 degrees and come to a stop facing north. Car A is a 2010 Mitsubishi Lancer with a full tank of gas and one occupant, a 400 lb driver. Car B is a 2015 Kia Soul with an unknown gas level and a 150 lb driver. There were no skid marks, indicating no attempt to slow down before the impact. The conversation concludes by stating that the experts are unable to provide any advice or statements on the
ANigro
First, let me apologize if I don't give you enough info. If I'm missing something, please let me know and I'll try to get the info.

Here is the set up: Car A is traveling West at 5 mph. Car B is traveling South at X mph. Car B strikes A on the rear quarter panel (centered on the rear tire) causing A to stop moving forward and instead rotate 90 degrees, coming to rest facing North. Car A is a 2010 Mitsubishi Lancer with a full tank (12 gallons) of gas and contains 1 occupant, a 400 lb driver. Car B is a 2015 Kia Soul with an unknown gas level and a 150 lb driver. There were no skid marks, so no attempt to slow down was made before the impact.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry, but we cannot give consultancy on any real life accidents for several reasons.
  • We do not regulate who will answer, esp. not their expertise.
  • We cannot give statements with a potentially legal impact.
  • We are not certified.
  • We cannot know the entire situation, regardless how detailed your description might be. I.e. we have neither all variables nor enough statistical nor mechanical data, which a responsible judgement would require.
  • Even an informal answer cannot be given, as we do not have control over its usage.
So as in all of these cases, we strongly recommend to consult a local expert, who can inspect what you are talking about, has sufficient experience and data for comparison, plus most important: is certified, so that his expertise will be of legal value.

Likes davenn

What is "Calculating Speed at Time of Collision"?

Calculating Speed at Time of Collision refers to the process of determining the velocity of an object at the moment it collides with another object or surface. This calculation can help scientists, engineers, and accident investigators understand the dynamics of a collision and potentially prevent future accidents.

How is speed at time of collision calculated?

The speed at time of collision can be calculated using the formula v = d/t, where v is the velocity in meters per second (m/s), d is the distance traveled in meters (m), and t is the time in seconds (s). This formula can be used for both linear and angular collisions.

What factors affect the speed at time of collision?

The speed at time of collision can be affected by various factors such as the initial velocity of the object, its mass, the angle and direction of impact, and any external forces acting on the object. The type of surface or material the object collides with can also impact its speed at the time of collision.

Why is calculating speed at time of collision important?

Calculating speed at time of collision is important for several reasons. It can help determine the severity of a collision and the potential damage or injuries that may occur. It can also aid in the investigation of accidents and help identify the cause of the collision. In addition, understanding the speed at time of collision can assist in designing safer vehicles and structures to prevent future collisions.

What are some common techniques used to calculate speed at time of collision?

Some common techniques used to calculate speed at time of collision include using video analysis to measure the distance traveled and time of impact, using sensors or accelerometers to measure the velocity and acceleration of the object, and using mathematical models to simulate and predict the speed at the time of collision. In some cases, physical experiments may also be conducted to measure the speed at time of collision.