Calculating the Angle of a Hanging Ball in an Electric Field

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
cse63146
Messages
435
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



An electric field 3.00×10^5 N/C causes the ball in the figure to hang at an angle. What is the angle

knight_Figure_25_69.jpg



Homework Equations



F_g = mg

The Attempt at a Solution



Here's a free body diagram that I drew in paint:

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/6721/fbdnc7.jpg

I got f_g = mg = (0.002)(9.8) = 0.0196N = T_y

so would T_x be equal to E?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The force exerted by the electric field on the 25nC ball is equal to T_x. Use F=EQ to find the electric force exerted on the ball.
 
So:

F = EQ = (3x10^5)(25x10^-9) = 0.0075 N

then I just use tangent

tan[tex]\vartheta[/tex] = [tex]\frac{T_y}{T_x}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{0.0196}{0.0075 }[/tex] = 2.61

Does anyone see a mistake somewhere I made?
 
cse63146 said:
So:

F = EQ = (3x10^5)(25x10^-9) = 0.0075 N

then I just use tangent

tan[tex]\vartheta[/tex] = [tex]\frac{T_y}{T_x}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{0.0196}{0.0075 }[/tex] = 2.61

Does anyone see a mistake somewhere I made?

Check your trig. You've got Tx and Ty flipped.

Don't forget to actually calculate the angle.
 
the 2.61 is after I used arctangent.

So let's try this one more time

tan[tex]\vartheta[/tex] = [tex]\frac{T_x}{T_y}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{0.0075}{0.0196}[/tex] = 20.9 (after arctangent was used).

This sounds more reasonable.