1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating the charge distribution on the surface of an assymetric conductor

1. Jul 25, 2012 #1
    How do I calculate the charge distribution on the surface of any asymmetric closed conducting surface? Is it possible for me to calculate the surface charge density 'σ' as a function of '[itex]\bar{r}[/itex]' the position vector in a spherical co-ordinate system in space, provided I know that the conductor has been qiven a net charge 'Q' and the equation of the conductor in space is ((x/a)^2)+((y/b)^2)+((z/c)^2)=1...
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2012 #2
    For any conducting surface you will have to resort to an approximation.

In brief: use a numerical method to establish the Electric field for the system. Use that E field result to establish surface charge distribution.

4. Jul 26, 2012 #3
    But how do I calculate [itex]\bar{E}[/itex] if I don't know my σ? It's like the chicken egg problem except that it's not what comes first that matters, but I need one to know the other. All I know unfortunately is the shape of the conductor and the total charge Q which according to the uniqueness theorum has a unique way of settling on the surface in the abscence of any external electric field...

5. Jul 26, 2012 #4
    you don't need to know anything about the charge. Field lines are normal to a conducting surface and themselves normal to equipotentials. This means that you can set up a grid with random starting values for potential and by recalculating each value in turn end up closer to the correct solution.

a quick google gave this http://www.physics.hku.hk/~phys3231/pdf/P1%20-%20Static%20Electric%20Field%20-%20Laplaces%20equation%20in%202D.pdf [Broken] The 3d process is very similar.

Also http://www.ece.msstate.edu/~donohoe/ece3323analytical_numerical_techniques.pdf you need the last few pages.

The procedure looks hard but really isn't: Though it is a long time since I last did one!

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  6. Jul 26, 2012 #5

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Just solve Laplace's equation for the potential. You know that the potential on the surface is a constant (which you may as well set to zero) and that the potential at large distances should look like that of a point charge, so you have your 2 boundary conditions. From the potential, you can determine the charge density.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook