Calculating the Commutator of R_1,R_2 in Coordinates

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 5K views
Oxymoron
Messages
868
Reaction score
0
Could someone check if I have done this right.

[tex]R_1 = x^2\partial_3 - x^3\partial_2[/tex]
[tex]R_2 = x^3\partial_1 - x^1\partial_3[/tex]
[tex]R_3 = x^1\partial_2 - x^2\partial_1[/tex]

Where [itex]x^i[/itex] are coordinates.

I need to calculate the commutator [itex][R_1,R_2][/itex].

[tex][R_1,R_2] = x^2\partial_3x^3\partial_1 - x^3\partial_1x^2\partial_3 + x^3\partial_2x^1\partial_3 - x^1\partial_3x^3\partial_2 <br /> - (x^3\partial_2x^3\partial_1-x^3\partial_1x^3\partial_2) - (x^2\partial_3x^1\partial_3-x^1\partial_3x^2\partial_3)[/tex]
[tex] .\quad\quad\quad = x^2x^3\partial_3\partial_1 - x^2x^3\partial_1\partial_3 + x^1x^3\partial_2\partial_3-x^1x^3\partial_2\partial_3<br /> - x^3x^3\partial_2\partial_1 + x^3x^3\partial_1\partial_2-x^1x^2\partial_3\partial_3+x^1x^2\partial_3\partial_3[/tex]
[tex].\quad\quad\quad = x^2\partial_1-x^2\partial_1+x^1\partial_2-x^1\partial_2 -x^3x^3\partial_2\partial_1 + x^3x^3\partial_1\partial_2 - x^1x^2\partial_3\partial_3 + x^1x^2\partial_3\partial_3[/tex]
[tex] .\quad\quad\quad = 0[/tex]

And as a result,

[tex][R_1,R_2] = [R_2,R_3] = [R_3,R_1] = 0[/tex]

by cyclically permuting the indices.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You're right. But I don't know where I went wrong. I would have expected

[tex][R_1,R_2] = R_3[/itex][/tex]
 
Last edited:
I think my problem is evaluating the differentials. Here is an example of what I am doing in a simpler problem.

let [itex]A=\partial_x[/itex], [itex]B=\partial_y[/itex], and [itex]C=x\partial_y-y\partial_x[/itex].

Im going to compute [itex][A,C][/itex] and let me know if I've done something wrong...

[tex][A,C] = [\partial_x,x\partial_y-y\partial_x][/tex]
[tex]= \partial_x(x\partial_y - y\partial_x)-(x\partial_y-y\partial_x)\partial_x[/tex]
[tex]= \partial_xx\partial_y-\partial_xy\partial_x - x\partial_y\partial_x+y\partial_x\partial_x[/tex]

Now I am pretty sure [itex]\partial_xx = 1[/itex] so the first term is [itex]\partial_y[/itex].

The second term [itex]\partial_xy\partial_x = \partial_x\partial_xy[/itex] since the partial derivatives commute. The second term equals the fourth term so they cancel.

This leaves the third term. [itex]x\partial_y\partial_x=\partial_y(\partial_xx) = \partial_y(1) = 0[/itex]

So I would say the answer is

[tex][A,C] = \partial_y = B[/itex]<br /> <br /> how does this look?[/tex]
 
Last edited:
To be honest I don't think I've done this right at all.

My basic question is what does

[tex]\partial_yy\partial_x[/tex]

equal? And is it the same thing as

[tex]y\partial_x\partial_y[/tex]

EDIT: Could

[tex]\partial_yy\partial_x = \partial_y(y)\partial_x + y\partial_x\partial_y[/tex]?

If this calculation is right could someone tell me how.
 
Last edited:
Oxymoron said:
To be honest I don't think I've done this right at all.

My basic question is what does

[tex]\partial_yy\partial_x[/tex]

equal? And is it the same thing as

[tex]y\partial_x\partial_y[/tex]

EDIT: Could

[tex]\partial_yy\partial_x = \partial_y(y)\partial_x + y\partial_x\partial_y[/tex]?

If this calculation is right could someone tell me how.

What [tex]\partial_yy\partial_x[/tex] means depends on how you are applying the [tex]\partial_y[/tex]. From a commutator, for example:
[tex][\partial_y, y\partial_x] = \partial_y(y\partial_x)-y\partial_x(\partial_y)[/tex]
In this case the y operator acts on the whole expression so you use the product rule.

-Dan
 
Ah, of course! So in fact

[tex][R_1,R_2] = -R_3[/tex]

and...

[tex][R_2,R_3] = -R_1[/tex]
[tex][R_3,R_1] = -R_2[/tex]
 
Last edited: