1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show that f'(x) grad f(x) is positive

1. Aug 16, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi everybody! I'm preparing a maths exam so I run through a lot of problems, and I am unsure whether I tackled this one correctly or not:

Prove that for every differentiable function ##f: \mathbb{R}^3 \to \mathbb{R}## and for every point ##x \in \mathbb{R}^3## the following statement is true:

##\lim\limits_{t \to 0} \frac{f(x+t \nabla f(x)) - f(x)}{t} \geq 0##

2. Relevant equations

I have the following definitions:

##f'(x) = \frac{\partial (f_1, ..., f_m)}{\partial (x_1, ..., x_n)} (x)##

Directional derivative: ##f'(x)v = \lim\limits_{t \to 0} \frac{1}{t} (f(x + tv) - f(x))##

3. The attempt at a solution

So what I did was pretty straightforward:

##\lim\limits_{t \to 0} \frac{f(x + t \nabla f(x)) - f(x)}{t} = f'(x) \nabla f(x)##
    ##= [\partial_1 f(x) \partial_2 f(x) \partial_3 f(x)] \cdot [\partial_1 f(x), \partial_2 f(x), \partial_3 f(x)]##
    ##= (\partial_1 f(x))^2 + (\partial_2 f(x))^2 + (\partial_3 f(x))^2 \geq 0##

Is that legit? Not sure about my handling from ##f'(x)##. Should I have used the total differential definition? Would I obtain the same result? I'm still unclear about total derivatives :)

Thanks a lot in advance for your answers.

Julien.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2016 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For a vector ##\vec{u} \in R^3## we have
    $$\lim_{t \to 0} \frac{f(\vec{x} + t \vec{u}) - f(\vec{x})}{t} = \langle \vec{u}, \vec{\nabla} f(\vec{x}) \rangle,$$
    where ##\langle \vec{p}, \vec{q} \rangle## denotes the inner product of the vectors ##\vec{p}, \vec{q}##. You are taking ##\vec{u} = \vec{\nabla} f(\vec{x})##.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
  4. Aug 16, 2016 #3

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

It looks right to me. I would have written the limit as ##(\nabla_{(\nabla f)(x)}f)(x) \overset{(*)}= (\nabla f (x))\cdot (\nabla f (x)) = |\nabla f (x)|^2##. The total differentiability of ##f## is hidden in ##(*)## which allows you to write the directional derivative in direction ##v## (##=(\nabla f)(x)## in this case) as ##D_v f(x) = \nabla f(x) \cdot v##. Other than directional differentiability and partial differentiability (which are simply special directional derivatives), the total differentiability allows us to choose any direction. In this case ##v=(\nabla f)(x)## is a linear combination of partial derivatives.

5. Aug 17, 2016 #4
    @Ray Vickson Hi and thanks for your answer! I like the way you write the definition with the inner product. At the end it gives the same result that I wrote, right?

@fresh_42 Hello and thank you for your answer as well. :) Of course I realised the equality holds only because the problem states that the function is differentiable. I am still unsure about the meaning of the total derivative. So far I understand it like that: the partial differentials hold for analytical use of a function, while the total differential becomes useful when wanting to approximate the slope at a given point. Would you support that statement? If not, could you maybe give me an example of partial and total differentiation so that I can visualise it? My interpretation is based on the following observation (for the case ##f: \mathbb{R}^n \to \mathbb{R}##):

##f' (\vec{x}) = \frac{\partial (f_1, ... , f_m)}{\partial (x_1, ... , x_n)} (x) = \mbox{vector}##
    ##f' (\vec{x}) = \sum \frac{\partial f}{\partial x_i} dx_i = \mbox{scalar}##

First of all, is that correct? And if so, would you say that "the total differentiability allows us to choose any direction" when we plug in arbitrary ##dx_i## for a given point ##\vec{x}##?

Thanks a lot again to both of you for your answers, I really appreciate your explanations!

Julien.

6. Aug 17, 2016 #5

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Not really. Partial derivatives also approximate the slope at a given point. Just in the direction of the coordinates. A total differential approximates a function ##f## as a whole by a linear function ##L## (the total differential), i.e. you may write ##f(\vec{x}+\vec{v}) = f(\vec{x}) + L(\vec{v}) +r(\vec{v})## such that ##\lim_{\vec{v} \rightarrow 0} \frac{r(\vec{v}}{||\vec{v}||} = 0##. This means ##f## can be approximated by ##L## such that the error terms in ##r## run faster towards zero than ##L## does, or as it often occurs (e.g. in Taylor expansions), ##r## has terms in ##\vec{v}## of higher orders than ##1##.

I have difficulties with naming everything ##x##. You should try to get used to distinguish when you are speaking of a function in the variable ##x##, coordinates ##x_i## or ##x^i## and eventual evaluation points ##x_0=p,## e.g. where the derivative is evaluated at. I'm not sure if I got you right. E.g. you may denote a gradient better by $$grad(f) = \nabla f = \sum_{i=1}^{n}\frac{\partial f}{\partial x_i} \vec{e}_i$$ or more physical $$\nabla f = \sum_{i=1}^{n}\frac{\partial f}{\partial x_i} dx_i$$ and $$\nabla_p f = \sum_{i=1}^{n}\left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial x_i}\right)_{x=p} dx_i$$

In addition, how can ##f'(\vec{x})## simultaneously be a vector and a scalar? Only by evaluation of ##\nabla_p f## at a certain point, which should not be denoted by the variable name.

An example for the difference between partial and total differentiation is the following:
    $$f(\vec{x}) = \begin{cases} \frac{2x_1x_2}{x_1^2+x_2^2} & \text{if } (x_1,x_2) \neq (0,0) \\ \\ 0 & \text{if } (x_1,x_2) = (0,0) \end{cases}$$
    ##f## is partially differentiable at ##(0,0)## but not continuous at ##(0,0)##. And you might want to calculate what happens along the line ##x_1 = x_2##. The latter is an example of a direction that is not along a coordinate.

7. Aug 18, 2016 #6
    @fresh_42 Thank you again for your answer, it is very complete and I am slowly starting to understand. I will study the matter for some more time on my own and probably come back here for more questions later on :)

Julien.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted