Wave propagation - Oblique Incidence

In summary, a plane wave is incident upon a planar surface of a dielectric material with an incident electric field of 𝐄̃i = 𝐲̂20𝑒−𝑗(3𝑥+4𝑧) [V. m−1]. The polarization of the incident wave is perpendicular to the xy plane and the angle of incidence can be determined by rotating the x' axis by ## \theta ## with respect to the x-axis about the y axis. The new axes x' and y' can be defined as x' = 3x + 4z and y' = y, and the direction of propagation is in the x' direction. The angle of incidence can
Ian751
Misplaced Homework Thread: moved from technical forums so no template
Summary:: A plane wave incident upon a planar surface - determining polarization, angle of incidence etc.

𝐄̃i = 𝐲̂20𝑒−𝑗(3𝑥+4𝑧) [V. m−1 ]

is incident upon the planar surface of a dielectric material, with εr = 4, occupying the halfspace z ≥ 0.
a) What is the polarisation of the incident wave?
b) What is the angle of incidence?
c) Obtain time-domain expressions for the transmitted electric and magnetic fields.

I'm not too great with EM theory and am trying to improve here. Confused with how the angle of incidence is determined here and how to visualize it. I think I recognize the plane of incidence as the xy plane thus the electric field is perpendicularly polarized. If the direction of propagation is now determined by 3x + 4z, would it be correct to determine the angle of incidence by taking tan(3/4)?

Likes kent davidge
Physics news on Phys.org
If I said 'yes' or 'no' that would not help you.
Suggestion:
rotate the x' axis by ## \theta ## wrt the x-axis about the y axis
define new axes x' = 3x + 4z, y' = y, z'

Then the direction of propagation is obviously in the x' direction.

Express x' in terms of ## \theta ## , x and z
From this you can compute ## \theta ##

Last edited:

1. What is oblique incidence in wave propagation?

Oblique incidence refers to the angle at which a wave strikes a boundary or interface between two mediums. It is measured as the angle between the direction of the incoming wave and the normal (perpendicular) to the boundary.

2. How does oblique incidence affect the behavior of waves?

Oblique incidence can cause waves to change direction or undergo refraction, reflection, or diffraction. The degree to which these effects occur depends on the angle of incidence and the properties of the mediums involved.

3. What is the difference between normal incidence and oblique incidence?

Normal incidence occurs when a wave strikes a boundary at a 90 degree angle, while oblique incidence occurs at any other angle. Normal incidence typically results in the least amount of wave behavior changes, while oblique incidence can cause more significant changes.

4. How is the angle of refraction calculated for oblique incidence?

The angle of refraction for oblique incidence can be calculated using Snell's law, which states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is equal to the ratio of the wave speeds in the two mediums.

5. What are some real-world applications of oblique incidence in wave propagation?

Oblique incidence is important in various fields such as optics, acoustics, and seismology. It is used in the design of lenses, mirrors, and other optical devices, as well as in the study of sound and earthquake waves. It is also relevant in radar and sonar technology.