Calculating the Efficiency of a Transformer for a Small Appliance

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 5K views
bleedblue1234
Messages
108
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



The specifications of a transformer for a small appliance read "Input: 110 V, 6.4 W" and "Output: 8.9 V, 270 mA". What is the efficiency of this transformer?

Homework Equations



P = I * V

V = I * R

The Attempt at a Solution



6.4 W / (8.9*(270*.001)) ---> I think this is wrong

I am just not sure how the voltage drop of the transformer would affect the power output...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Your reasoning is absolutely correct, voltage drop theoretically shouldn't affect the power output, but in theory we assume that there is no losses, no heat generated etc.
Thus when such a question pops up (power out)*100/(power in ) will give you the efficiency.