Calculating the Electric Potential at the Center of the Rectangle

  • Thread starter Thread starter kraigandrews
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Charge Work
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 7K views
kraigandrews
Messages
105
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


q3---a-----|
| |
| b
| |
q1---------q2

The figure shows three charges q1, q2 and q3 situated at corners of a rectangle of sides a = 15.0 cm and b = 6.0 cm.
For q1 = 5.90 μC, q2 = -5.90 μC, and q3 = 1.60 μC find the electric potential at the center of the rectangle.
V_center = 1.78×105 V

Continuing with the figure above, how much of the electric energy of the system would be expended in moving q3 to infinity while q1 and q2 remain in their positions?

Im at a loss as how to do this part, I have tried to find the field at the center with q3 no longer there and everytime it works out to be 0, so I am just not sure what to do here.


Homework Equations


V = kq/r
W = Vq



The Attempt at a Solution

 
Physics news on Phys.org
using V=kq1/a + kq2/a = 0... or at least I think.
 
ok so U = kq1q2/a... correct? Or should I use the center of the rectangle as the radius?
 
kraigandrews said:
ok so U = kq1q2/a... correct? Or should I use the center of the rectangle as the radius?
You should use the distance between the charges. What's the total PE of the system? How does that change when q3 is moved to infinity?