1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Grounded conductor and Electric field potential question ?

1. Dec 11, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    upload_2016-12-11_21-52-59.png

2. Relevant equations

V= kq/r.

3. The attempt at a solution

For 8-8, I do not really know how to approach it.
    For 8-14 , I think that q2=-q1 and q3=q1+q2.
    I can now use V=kq/r and then find the equations for r>R3 , r=R3 , R2<r<R3 , r=R2 and R1<r<R2 and then graph. Am I right?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2016 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

For 8-8 - the question tells you how to approach it.
    Sketch the situation, then, using a dotted line, sketch the potentials for each ball separately.
    Then apply the superposition principle - draw in the result as a bold line.

For 8-14 - please show your reasoning about the charges, ... ie. what happens to the charge distribution on sphere 2 and why?

4. Dec 16, 2016 #3

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

8-14: the "spheres" quoted in the problem are actually shells. There is a central solid sphere or ball of radius R1, then infinitely thin shells of radii R2 and R3.

There are thus 5 surfaces with respective charge densities (from innermost to outermost): σ1, σ2, σ3, σ4 and σ5.
    σ1 should be obvious. From that, σ2 should be readily calculated.
    That leaves σ3, σ4 and σ5. You can get 3 independent equations in these 3 unknowns. One involving σ4 and σ5 is obvious. One involving σ3 and σ4 should also be apparent; similar idea to σ1 and σ2. For the last equation, force zero E field inside the grounded shell.
    Having all 5 surface charge densities enables you to compute everything else.
    I don't think so. For one thing that would make q3 = 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted