1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Potential & Electric Field

1. May 1, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Three positive charges lie on the x-axis; q1 = 15 μC is at the origin, q2 = -30 μC is at x = 2 m, and q3 = 15 μC is a x = 3 m. ( please also refer to the attachment.)
    Find the electric potential and electric field at point “P” aroused from q1, q2 and q3.

3. The attempt at a solution

The suggested answer is attached.
    But I don't understand why q1 is also counted in both answers, and why the corresponding distance(r) is 1.

So weird to me.... please help!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2014 #2
    From the solution given , it seems that the point [itex]P[/itex] is at [itex]x=1[/itex] distance , that would make the eqns
    consistent.

P.S Please write the solutions and/or any other equations in your post preferrably using LaTeX as it can be difficult to read equations from the image and/or quoting them.

4. May 1, 2014 #3
    great! I understand now!! Sorry for the inconvenience. I will type them out next time. Thanks for your help :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted