Calculating the energy level and radius for a helium atom

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of energy and radius for the five lowest electron orbits in a Helium atom with one electron. The formula for energy and radius is given, with the hint that the Helium nucleus has 2 protons. The correct answers for n=1,2,4,5 are provided, but there is confusion about the answer for n=3. The expert suggests double-checking for errors or typos.
ttk3

Homework Statement

Calculate the energy and radius for each of the five lowest (n = 1,2,3,4,5) electron orbits in a Helium atom with only one electron. Enter the energy as a positive value in units of "eV" and the radius in units of "nm". Hint: The Helium nucleus has 2 protons so Z = 2 and the ground state energy of Helium will be E0 = k(Ze)2/2r0.

Homework Equations

E = (E0/n2)*Z2
E0= 13.6 eV
Z2=4
r=(r0/Z)*n2
Z=2

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the correct answers for n = 1-2 and 4-5, but I cannot get the right answer for n=3. could you check my work?

The answers I got were E = 6.044 eV and r = .238 nm

Physics news on Phys.org
I am getting the same numbers you are ttk3. The process for finding the answer for n=3 is the same as it is for the other four you got correct, so I don't see how you could get only n=3 incorrect.

Are you sure there isn't some error or typo in wherever you are getting the correct answer from?

for n=1
E = 1.511 eV and r = .596 nm for n=2
E = .671 eV and r = 1.336 nm for n=3
E = .377 eV and r = 2.372 nm for n=4
E = .241 eV and r = 3.784 nm for n=5

Your calculations seem to be correct. The only potential issue could be with the conversion of units. Make sure that your answers are in the correct units of eV for energy and nm for radius. Also, double check your calculations to ensure that they are accurate. If you are still having trouble with the n=3 calculation, try using a different approach or double check your equations to make sure they are being applied correctly. Overall, your answers for n=1-2 and 4-5 seem to be accurate, so it is likely just a minor error in your n=3 calculation. Keep up the good work!

1. How do you calculate the energy level for a helium atom?

The energy level for a helium atom can be calculated using the formula E = -13.6/n^2, where n is the principal quantum number. The principal quantum number can take on values of 1, 2, 3, and so on, with 1 being the lowest energy level.

2. What is the significance of the energy level in a helium atom?

The energy level in a helium atom determines the amount of energy that an electron possesses while orbiting the nucleus. Higher energy levels correspond to electrons that are farther away from the nucleus and have more energy. This energy is necessary for the electron to maintain its orbit around the nucleus.

3. How is the radius of a helium atom calculated?

The radius of a helium atom can be calculated using the Bohr radius formula, r = 0.529 * n^2 / Z, where n is the principal quantum number and Z is the atomic number. The larger the principal quantum number, the greater the radius of the atom.

4. What are the units for the energy level and radius of a helium atom?

The energy level of a helium atom is typically measured in units of electron volts (eV) or joules (J). The radius of a helium atom is measured in units of picometers (pm) or angstroms (Å).

5. How does the energy level and radius of a helium atom compare to other elements?

The energy level and radius of a helium atom are unique to helium and cannot be directly compared to other elements. However, in general, the energy levels and radii of atoms increase as you move down a group in the periodic table, and decrease as you move across a period.