1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating the energy level and radius for a helium atom

1. Jul 22, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Calculate the energy and radius for each of the five lowest (n = 1,2,3,4,5) electron orbits in a Helium atom with only one electron. Enter the energy as a positive value in units of "eV" and the radius in units of "nm". Hint: The Helium nucleus has 2 protons so Z = 2 and the ground state energy of Helium will be E0 = k(Ze)2/2r0.

2. Relevant equations

E = (E0/n2)*Z2
    E0= 13.6 eV
    3. The attempt at a solution

I got the correct answers for n = 1-2 and 4-5, but I cannot get the right answer for n=3. could you check my work?

The answers I got were E = 6.044 eV and r = .238 nm
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2008 #2

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I am getting the same numbers you are ttk3. The process for finding the answer for n=3 is the same as it is for the other four you got correct, so I don't see how you could get only n=3 incorrect.

Are you sure there isn't some error or typo in wherever you are getting the correct answer from?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?