Calculating the equilibrium distance

• Thread starter Clausius2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equilibrium
In summary, the conversation discusses the validity and derivation of the law for adhesion from VDW forces and the possibility of calculating the equilibrium distance where the force reaches its maximum. The concept of contact and surface roughness is also brought up, as well as the limitations of the force equation in considering all forces present in the system. The conversation also mentions the average gap between surfaces and the system being modeled, which is related to Electromechanics of Particles.
Clausius2
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi there,

Let's imagine a sphere touching a plane. Then, I may consider valid the law for adhesion coming from VDW forces:

[tex]F=\frac{Aa}{6h^2}[/tex]

where A is the Hammaker constant, a is the sphere radius and h is the gap between the two bodies. My question is, is there a way of calculating the equilibrium distance [tex]h_o[/tex] where the force reaches its maximum? What cannot be is that as h tends to zero F tends to infinity. There must be some point of equilibrium for very small h in which maybe repulsion forces start to take place. Is that right?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I guess I'd like to see the derivation of this formula.

F clearly cannot go to infinite.

What bothers me is "h is the gap between the two bodies." How does one achieve adhesion with a gap between bodies?

Adhesion should be a function of surface roughness, in addition to VDW. Surface roughness would affect the effective surface area involvedin VDW. And there could also be a softness (hardness) component.

Is 'adhesion' related to traction/friction?

Typically, in Hammaker models, the separation between particles is a center-to-center spacing and the global maximum of the inter-particle force is at "contact". By contact, one roughly means that the particles are close enough (of the order of an angstrom between surfaces) that repulsion from surface electrons equals the attractive VDW force.

Clearly, the (Hammaker) force equation provided above models only part of the forces present in the system, since it has no horizontal tangent at finite separation (ie: it provides no finite equilibrium separation).

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
I guess I'd like to see the derivation of this formula.

F clearly cannot go to infinite.

What bothers me is "h is the gap between the two bodies." How does one achieve adhesion with a gap between bodies?

Adhesion should be a function of surface roughness, in addition to VDW. Surface roughness would affect the effective surface area involvedin VDW. And there could also be a softness (hardness) component.

Is 'adhesion' related to traction/friction?

It is obtained integrating the interaction energy (see fundamentals of adhesion, Lee). You're right about the roughness, h models an average gap between both surfaces.

Gokul said:
Typically, in Hammaker models, the separation between particles is a center-to-center spacing and the global maximum of the inter-particle force is at "contact". By contact, one roughly means that the particles are close enough (of the order of an angstrom between surfaces) that repulsion from surface electrons equals the attractive VDW force.

Clearly, the (Hammaker) force equation provided above models only part of the forces present in the system, since it has no horizontal tangent at finite separation (ie: it provides no finite equilibrium separation).

Yeah, I did a little of research and I found that the equilibrium distance is usually of order of angstroms. What bothers me now is that I couldn't assume Continuum flow of air in such a small gap.

Thanks guys.

Just to satisfy my curiosity, what is the system you are trying to model?

Gokul43201 said:
Just to satisfy my curiosity, what is the system you are trying to model?

No problem. Actually, it is for my thesis. About Electromechanics of Particles, in particular I'm looking now at a micro particle near a wall at Low Reynolds Numbers. It's funny.

1. What is equilibrium distance and why is it important in science?

The equilibrium distance is the distance between two particles or objects where the attractive and repulsive forces between them are balanced, resulting in a stable and stationary position. In science, it is important because it helps us understand the behavior and interactions of particles and objects, such as in chemical reactions and the stability of structures.

2. How is equilibrium distance calculated?

The equilibrium distance can be calculated using the equilibrium equation, which takes into account the masses, charges, and distance between the particles or objects. This equation is based on the principles of Newton's laws of motion and Coulomb's law.

3. What factors affect the equilibrium distance?

The equilibrium distance is affected by various factors, such as the masses and charges of the particles or objects, the strength of the attractive and repulsive forces between them, and the medium they are in (such as air, water, or vacuum).

4. How does the equilibrium distance change with temperature?

In general, the equilibrium distance decreases with an increase in temperature. This is because an increase in temperature causes particles to vibrate more and have a higher kinetic energy, which can disrupt the balance of forces and decrease the equilibrium distance.

5. How is the equilibrium distance used in practical applications?

The concept of equilibrium distance is used in various practical applications, such as in designing and understanding the behavior of chemical reactions, determining the stability of structures, and in technologies such as nanotechnology and microelectromechanical systems (MEMS).