Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating the escape velocity of a pressurised gas

1. Sep 27, 2012 #1
    Well this question I've had since highschool (first year mech), how would i calculate escape velocity of a gas if i know volume, diameter of the hole, pressure, temprature and mass.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2012 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Same as the escape velocity of anything... gas molecules are no different.

4. Sep 28, 2012 #3
    no i meant from a container like a gas canister or something something like this : http://www.sz-wholesaler.com/userimg/1068/1074sw1/co2-cylinder-for-lifejacket-799.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  5. Sep 28, 2012 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

If the diameter of the hole is small compared to the container (=> the gas in the container does not move in a significant way), you can look at a small volume of gas and use energy conservation: The pressure difference inside<->outside gives an energy density*, this energy gets released to accelerate the gas.

*to be more precise, I think you should use adiabatic expansion and calculate the released energy

6. Sep 28, 2012 #5

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

At first I thought he meant gas escaping by rupturing the pressure vessel :)
    My next thought was - adiabatic process... but it may be easier to treat it as isenthalpic for similar reasons: the gas is flowing at a steady rate and we assume no exchange of heat with the surroundings - and we are only interested in the speed right outside the nozzle.

Adiabatic would be more in the case where most of the gas is released in a burst wouldn't it?

The calculation still depends on the pressure difference, but also the specific enthalpy of the fluid. This speed can be further modified by the geometry of the nozzle.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook