Calculating the escape velocity of a pressurised gas

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the escape velocity of a gas from a container using its volume, diameter of the hole, pressure, temperature, and mass. It is mentioned that the same principle applies to any type of gas, and that the calculation can be simplified if the diameter of the hole is small compared to the container. The use of energy conservation and adiabatic expansion or isenthalpic processes are suggested as methods for determining the velocity. The effect of the geometry of the nozzle on the speed is also mentioned.
sadben
Well this question I've had since high school (first year mech), how would i calculate escape velocity of a gas if i know volume, diameter of the hole, pressure, temprature and mass.

Physics news on Phys.org
Same as the escape velocity of anything... gas molecules are no different.

no i meant from a container like a gas canister or something something like this : http://www.sz-wholesaler.com/userimg/1068/1074sw1/co2-cylinder-for-lifejacket-799.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If the diameter of the hole is small compared to the container (=> the gas in the container does not move in a significant way), you can look at a small volume of gas and use energy conservation: The pressure difference inside<->outside gives an energy density*, this energy gets released to accelerate the gas.

*to be more precise, I think you should use adiabatic expansion and calculate the released energy

At first I thought he meant gas escaping by rupturing the pressure vessel :)
My next thought was - adiabatic process... but it may be easier to treat it as isenthalpic for similar reasons: the gas is flowing at a steady rate and we assume no exchange of heat with the surroundings - and we are only interested in the speed right outside the nozzle.

Adiabatic would be more in the case where most of the gas is released in a burst wouldn't it?

The calculation still depends on the pressure difference, but also the specific enthalpy of the fluid. This speed can be further modified by the geometry of the nozzle.

1. What is escape velocity and why is it important?

Escape velocity is the minimum velocity required for an object to escape the gravitational pull of a massive body, such as a planet or star. It is important in understanding the dynamics of celestial bodies and space travel.

2. How is escape velocity calculated for a pressurized gas?

The formula for calculating escape velocity of a pressurized gas is: v = √(2P/ρ), where v is the escape velocity, P is the pressure of the gas, and ρ is the density of the gas. This formula assumes a spherical body with a constant surface pressure throughout.

3. What factors affect the escape velocity of a pressurized gas?

The escape velocity of a pressurized gas is affected by the mass and size of the celestial body, as well as the density and pressure of the gas. Changes in any of these factors will alter the escape velocity.

4. Can the escape velocity of a pressurized gas be greater than the speed of light?

No, according to Einstein's theory of relativity, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. Therefore, the escape velocity of a pressurized gas cannot exceed the speed of light.

5. How does the escape velocity of a pressurized gas differ from that of a solid object?

The escape velocity of a pressurized gas is typically lower than that of a solid object with the same mass and size. This is because gases have lower densities and therefore require less energy to escape the gravitational pull of a celestial body.