1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating the gauge pressure?

1. Mar 2, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Water flows through a .259m radius pipe at the rate of .125m^3/s. The pressure in the pipe is atmospheric. The pipe slants downhill and feeds into a second pipe with a radius of .190m, positioned .796m lower. What is the gauge pressure in the lower pipe? The acceleration of gravity is 9.81 m/s^2. Answer in the units of Pa.

2. Relevant equations
    A1V1 = A2V2
    flow speed = flow rate / area
    P1 + [(Rho)(g)(h1)] + [(1/2)(rho)(V1^2)] = P2 + [(Rho)(g)(h2)] + [(1/2)(rho)(V2^2)]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Calculating the flow speed gives me V1. Then I can find V2 using the equation of continuity.
    Also, because we are looking for gauge pressure, I am look for P1- P2. Therefore:

P1-P2 = [(rho)(g)(delta H)] + [(1/2)(rho)(V2^2)] - [(1/2)(rho)(V1^2)]

Is this correct? Also, do I need to do anything for P1 if that pressure is atmospheric in the pipe? Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2010 #2
    Anybody? Just tell me if what I am doing is correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?