1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating the initial charge on an object

Tags:
  1. Nov 4, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Neutral metal sphere A, of mass 0.10kg hangs from an insulating wire 2.0m long. An identical metal sphere B, with charge -q, is brought into contact with sphere A. The spheres repel and settle(a picture just imagine a right angle triangle with 2 objects A and B at the bottom.) calculate the initial charge on B.

2. Relevant equations
    Tv = Fg
    Th = Fe
    K*Qa*Qb/r^2
    3. The attempt at a solution
    Now, I have done the whole process but I just want to know what I am doing wrong with my calculator( we have done it in class) here was the last part of my solution: 16sin^3*12/9*10^9= q^2. OK so the answer was for this question was 4*10^-6 C = q. But everytime I input this in my calculator the answer becomes 0.000030433 or 3.04*10^-5

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2014 #2
    Did they give you the distance between the two spheres after settling? otherwise your answer would have to be the distance as a function of initial charge

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted