Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Calculating the island of Manhattan gains after 400 years.

1. Jun 20, 2011 #1
    According to the legend, the island of Manhattan was purcased from the native indian population in 1626 for 24 dollars. Assuming this money was invested in a Dutch bank paying 5 %
    simple interest per year, costruct a table in C++ showing how much money the native population would have at the end of each 50- year period, starting in 1626 and ending 400 years latter.
    I'm having problems when i try to calculate the total amount of money every 50 year period.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Relevant equations

simple Interest = Principal amount * Interest rate * years

3. The attempt at a solution

#include <iostream>
    #include <cmath>
    #include <iomanip>

using namespace std;
    int main ()

{
    float year;
    double rate, interest, totMoney;

year = 1626;
    rate = .05;

cout << " Year Interest gained Total Money" << endl;
    cout << "-----------------------------------------------"<< endl;
    cout << endl;

while( year <= 2026)
    {

interest = 24 * .05* 50;
    totMoney = 24 + interest;

cout << setw(7) << year << setw(15) << interest << setw(15)<< totMoney << endl;

cout << endl;

totMoney ++;

year += 50;

}

return 0;
    }

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2011 #2

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

The basic algorithm looks all right (I'd clean up the output format a little, but that's just me). However, is there a reason you're incrementing totMoney (totMoney++)? Does the legend include a $1 payment every 50 years?

I'd also suggest using an int for year--you won't have any decimal artifacts in the year field.

EDIT: And now compare it with compound interest--by 2026, that $24 would have turned into $7,176,800,429.97.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook