Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating the loads at different points on a base frame

1. Feb 20, 2014 #1
    The attachment provided shows a frame in which a large fan is to be rested on. The fan has a weight of 6,060 kg and the location of the centre of gravity is shown in the attachment. I would like to know how to calculate the loads at each point. Could anyone please provide some help on this problem?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2014 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I assume that the fan contacts all 8 points shown on the frame.

Do all the members of the frame have the same cross section, i.e., does the frame use the same structural shapes for all members?

What is the axis of rotation of the fan? Are you concerned about any change in fan reactions for the static condition versus when the fan is operating?

4. Feb 22, 2014 #3

nvn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Peirianeg: Assuming the frame is relatively very stiff (rigid-body mechanics), and using g = 9.81 m/s^2, then the vertical reaction force (Rz) at each support point would be as follows.

Code (Text):
    Point   Rz

1    7504 N
      2    7634
      3    7731
      4    7279
      5    7409
      6    7506
      7    7171
      8    7214
    If you do not want a rigid-body mechanics solution, then you would need to incorporate the cross-sectional dimensions of the frame members, in which case the problem would become more difficult.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  5. Feb 26, 2014 #4
    Many thanks nvn, I was wondering if you could possibly show your calculation methods if that's okay. And it would be considered as a rigid-body.

6. Feb 26, 2014 #5

nvn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Peirianeg: I made a mistake in post 3, which is now corrected, below.

Assuming the frame is relatively very stiff (rigid-body mechanics), and using g = 9.81 m/s^2, then the vertical reaction force (Rz) at each support point would be as follows.

Code (Text):
    Point   Rz

1    7436 N
      2    7685
      3    7869
      4    7150
      5    7399
      6    7583
      7    7122
      8    7205
    If you do not want a rigid-body mechanics solution, then you would need to incorporate the cross-sectional dimensions of the frame members, in which case the problem would become more difficult.

7. Feb 27, 2014 #6
    Thanks for the update, would it be okay if you could show how you calculated the load at each point please? All members have the same cross-sectional dimensions which are 200h x 90w.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook