Calculating the number of photons in a wave

  • Thread starter Thread starter Daintyg
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Photons Wave
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Daintyg
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



I am trying to answer a relatively simple question. I have been asked to compare the number of Photons in 100W light bulb and a 100W FM Radio per second. Having crunched the numbers it appears that an FM Radio wave gives out more Photons per second than a light bulb. Is this correct?

Homework Equations



I have used E=hc/λ


The Attempt at a Solution



I come out at 2.87x10E20 for a light (Using yellow) and 5.03x10E36 for a radio (the power depends on the wavelength)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct and presumably in your calculation you found that the energy of A radio photon is much less than the energy of a visible light photon.
A radio frequency is very much less than the frequency of visible light
 
No comment:smile:
except to say... don't look at yourself like that.