1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Photons per second from lightbulb

1. Mar 31, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If 5 percent of the power of a 100 W bulb is radiated in the visible spectrum, how many visible photons are radiated per second?

2. Relevant equations

E=hf=hc/λ

3. The attempt at a solution

I know how to solve this, I just wanted to make sure.
    I will take 5 W or J/s as the power of the visible light, and once you know the energy of the visible light's photon in Joules finding the photons/second is easy. I am wondering though if it would be better to present a range of photons per second since the visible spectrum is a range of frequencies/wavelengths, or an average. The question seems like it wants a single answer.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2015 #2
  4. Mar 31, 2015 #3

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Surely you could find a range. Then pick some reasonable answer in the middle.

You might assume white light - so an even distribution of frequencies, The energy is proportional to the frequency, so you get a nice energy distribution. Integrate over that someway.

Want to make things even more complicated? - - -

5. Mar 31, 2015 #4
    Haha that's alright. I found a range as well as the average and will list those both, hopefully that is a satisfactory answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted