Photons per second from lightbulb

In summary, 5% of the power of a 100 W bulb emits visible light in the form of photons per second. The energy of a visible light photon is proportional to the frequency, so you get an even energy distribution. The average number of photons emitted per second is 18.5.
Kavorka

Homework Statement

[/B]
If 5 percent of the power of a 100 W bulb is radiated in the visible spectrum, how many visible photons are radiated per second?

Homework Equations

E=hf=hc/λ

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to solve this, I just wanted to make sure.
I will take 5 W or J/s as the power of the visible light, and once you know the energy of the visible light's photon in Joules finding the photons/second is easy. I am wondering though if it would be better to present a range of photons per second since the visible spectrum is a range of frequencies/wavelengths, or an average. The question seems like it wants a single answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
um

Kavorka said:

Homework Statement

[/B]
If 5 percent of the power of a 100 W bulb is radiated in the visible spectrum, how many visible photons are radiated per second?

Homework Equations

E=hf=hc/λ

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to solve this, I just wanted to make sure.
I will take 5 W or J/s as the power of the visible light, and once you know the energy of the visible light's photon in Joules finding the photons/second is easy. I am wondering though if it would be better to present a range of photons per second since the visible spectrum is a range of frequencies/wavelengths, or an average. The question seems like it wants a single answer.
Surely you could find a range. Then pick some reasonable answer in the middle.

You might assume white light - so an even distribution of frequencies, The energy is proportional to the frequency, so you get a nice energy distribution. Integrate over that someway.

Want to make things even more complicated? - - -

Haha that's alright. I found a range as well as the average and will list those both, hopefully that is a satisfactory answer.

What are photons per second?

Photons per second is a unit of measurement that represents the number of photons emitted by a light source in one second.

How is the number of photons per second determined for a lightbulb?

The number of photons per second from a lightbulb is determined by the power of the lightbulb, which is measured in watts, and the wavelength of the light emitted.

What is the relationship between photons per second and the brightness of a lightbulb?

The number of photons per second emitted by a lightbulb is directly related to its brightness. The more photons per second, the brighter the lightbulb will appear.

Can the number of photons per second emitted by a lightbulb be changed?

Yes, the number of photons per second emitted by a lightbulb can be changed by adjusting the power or wattage of the lightbulb or by changing the type of lightbulb used.

How does the number of photons per second from a lightbulb affect its energy efficiency?

The number of photons per second emitted by a lightbulb does not directly affect its energy efficiency. However, using a lightbulb with a higher number of photons per second can result in a brighter light, which may lead to using fewer lightbulbs and therefore increasing energy efficiency.