Calculating the pilot's effective weight at the bottom and top of a circle (1 Viewer)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Ok so there are two part to this problem:

Info: A jet pilot takes his aircraft in a vertical loop

Part 1: If the jet is moving at a speed of 1500 at the lowest point of the loop, determine the minimum radius of the circle so that the centripetal acceleration at the lowest point does not exceed 6.6 's.

I got the answer of this one to be 2.7 X 10^3

Part 2: Calculate the 68- pilot's effective weight (the force with which the seat pushes up on him) at the bottom of the circle, and at the top of the circle (assume the same speed).

I honestly don't even know where to start with this one. Can somebody help??
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Ok so there are two part to this problem:

Info: A jet pilot takes his aircraft in a vertical loop

Part 1: If the jet is moving at a speed of 1500 at the lowest point of the loop, determine the minimum radius of the circle so that the centripetal acceleration at the lowest point does not exceed 6.6 's.

I got the answer of this one to be 2.7 X 10^3

Part 2: Calculate the 68- pilot's effective weight (the force with which the seat pushes up on him) at the bottom of the circle, and at the top of the circle (assume the same speed).
What are the forces acting on the pilot at the bottom? Draw a free body diagram. What must the sum of all forces be equal to in any free body diagram? What is the acceleration of the pilot at the bottom? Write out the equation for the sum of all forces. What must the magnitude of the normal force be in order for the forces to add up to the total net force?

Now do the same thing for pilot at the top of the loop.

AM

The Physics Forums Way

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving