Calculating Solar Panel Area Needed for a 1MW Power Output

In summary, the homework asks for the area of land needed to cover solar panels that will produce a certain power output, but does not say where the 100W/m2 solar irradiance comes from. NASA reports the peak irradiance on Mars to be about 580 W/m2, corresponding to an average of 145W/m2 over the whole surface. If the peak panel output is 300W/m2 then that suggests an efficiency of around 75%. If batteries are to be included, the area needed would be much larger.
Ethan_Tab

Homework Statement

Hello everyone, I'm working on a (simplified) Mars energy model in which I need to calculate the area of land I need to cover in solar panels in order to achieve an particular power output.

Say the land I'm looking at receives a constant solar irradiance of 100W/m^2 from the sun. How would I determine how many panels I need to put up if each 1mX1m solar panel has a power output of 300W and the colony needs a total of 1MW of continuous power.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that I could simply divide 1,000,000W/300W to obtain the amount of panels I need and then figure out the area which they take up. However I'm not sure where the 100W/m^2 solar irradiance comes into play.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ethan_Tab said:
100W/m^2 from the sun. How would I determine how many panels I need to put up if each 1mX1m solar panel has a power output of 300W
Yes, those numbers do not match up, right?
Ethan_Tab said:
However I'm not sure where the 100W/m^2 solar irradiance comes into play.
Check for errors in the problem statement?

Also, with a rotating planet, you don't get the peak insolation for the whole day/night period of the planet...

So if I just knew that I had an solar irradiance of 100W/m^2 and I needed to power a 1,000,000 W colony how would I determine how large of a solar farm I would need?

Ethan_Tab said:
So if I just knew that I had an solar irradiance of 100W/m^2 and I needed to power a 1,000,000 W colony how would I determine how large of a solar farm I would need?
Model how that 100W/m^2 peak insolation translates into the insolation versus the full planetary rotation cycle. There has to be lots of info on the Internet about how to do that. Please show your work.

Ethan_Tab said:
a constant solar irradiance of 100W/m^2
Clearly there is no such patch of land, on Earth or on Mars. The equatorial tangential velocity is nearly 1000km/h, so we're not going to solve it by a mobile system.

According to NASA, the peak irradiance on Mars is about 580 W/m2. That corresponds to an average of 145W/m2 over the whole surface, so perhaps the 100W/m2 figure is supposed to be the daily average. Whatever, batteries will need to be included.

If the peak panel output is 300W/m2 then that suggests an efficiency of around 75%, so a daily average output of only 75W/m2.

Admittedly, that's a lot of guesswork. Are you sure you have quoted the question exactly as given to you?

1. How do you calculate the area needed for a 1MW solar panel?

To calculate the area needed for a 1MW solar panel, you need to know the efficiency of the solar panel and the amount of sunlight it will receive. You can use the following formula: Area (in square meters) = 1,000,000 / (efficiency * solar irradiation * 1000). The efficiency is usually given in percentage, and solar irradiation is the amount of sunlight in kWh per square meter per day.

2. What is the average efficiency of a solar panel?

The average efficiency of a solar panel is around 15-20%. However, it can vary depending on the type and quality of the panel, as well as external factors such as shading and temperature.

3. How much sunlight does a solar panel need to produce 1MW of power?

The amount of sunlight needed for a solar panel to produce 1MW of power depends on its efficiency. However, on average, a solar panel needs to receive about 1000 kWh of sunlight per day to produce 1MW of power.

4. Is the calculated area the exact size needed for a 1MW solar panel?

No, the calculated area is an estimate based on the given efficiency and solar irradiation. The actual size of the solar panel may vary depending on the manufacturer and other external factors.

5. Can I use the same formula for any type of solar panel?

Yes, the formula for calculating the area needed for a 1MW solar panel can be used for any type of solar panel as long as you have the efficiency and solar irradiation values. However, the efficiency and solar irradiation may vary depending on the type and quality of the solar panel.