1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating the time of stopping distance

1. Nov 29, 2008 #1
    well i'm struggling with a level physics and need some help with a new topic area we're studying

the problem is

a moving car t velocity of 20 ms(-1) brakes to a standstill in a distance of 40m, a child of mass 15kg is sitting in a forward facing child car seat fitted to the back-seat of the car

calculate (1) the deceleration (2) the force on the child

i always thought to calculate the deceleration is braking distance/ mass but the only mass given is that of the child and surely the car will way more than that, hence why i dont understand what formula to use, is it using suvat? if so i cant find a suvat formula with only s U and v, its driving me mad ( no pun intended)

for the second part of the question I haven't been told any information on how to work it out but is the formula t= 2s/U + v (t is time, s is distance/displacement, U is initial velocity and v is final velocity
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't know why you were thinking that distance/mass equals acceleration. Erase that thought. What about the kinematic equation vf^2 = vo^2 + 2as? You didn't do enough searching on your suavat's.
    How about using Newton's 2nd law?
  4. Nov 29, 2008 #3
    i think i have it now

thanks (i found out newtons second law about 2 minutes before u posted, and the suvat question i just found,) thanks for providing me with support so i avoidied doubting myself
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?