1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating the time taken for the step response of a system

1. May 3, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have worked out the transfer function of a block diagram in 1st order form To = (K/1+ts) and the 2nd part of the question asks to calculate the time for the output temperature to change by 80% when k1=1, k2=2, k3=3 and k4=4
    2. Relevant equations
    where K = (k1k2)/(k1k2k4+k2k3) and t= 1/(k1k2k4+k2k3)
    3. The attempt at a solution
    So K = 0.2 and t = 0.1 and i thought that the equation to do this would be y=K(1-e^(-T/t)) giving 0.8=0.2(1-e^(-T/0.1)) but this doesnt work can anyone see where im going wrong? Is the y=K(1-e^(-T/t)) right? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2017 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Presuming that your transfer function represents the impulse response, then your solution form is correct for the step response.

Check your values for ##K## and ##\tau##. If your k values are as you've specified and the formulas for ##K## and ##\tau## are correct, I don't get the same values that you do.

The final (steady state) value for y will be equal to ##K##. So you're looking for the time when y is 80% of that final value.

4. May 3, 2017 #3
    sorry K4 = 2 and if the solution is correct how come i get T = 0.109 seconds, on the booklet it says it should be 0.16 seconds however it doesnt show the methodology of it, but i noticed taking K completely out of the equation would give that answer, is that just a coincidence

5. May 3, 2017 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

I didn't say that your solution was correct, I said that its form was correct. I should have been more clear about that, for which I apologize.

The steady state value for y is not 1, so 0.8 does not represent 80% of the final value...

6. May 3, 2017 #5
    ah okay i got it now, thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted