1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Use convolution integral to find step response of a system

1. Apr 30, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An electrical network has the unit-impulse response :h(t)=3t⋅e-4t .If a unit voltage step is applied to the network, use the convolution integral to work out the value of the output after 0.25 seconds.

2. Relevant equations
    Convolution integral: y(t)=f(t)*h(t)
    Unit step function u(t) = 1 when t>=0, 0 when t<0

3. The attempt at a solution
    This is a problem on the problem sheet of my circuit analysis course. The lecturer also gives a solution which is not complete:
    v(τ)=∫0 1⋅3(τ-t)e(-4(τ-t)) dt
    v(0.25) = 4.95×10-2V
    I'm not sure how to proceed from the above equation to get the final answer. I have tried solving using convolution:y(t) =∫0h(τ)u(t-τ)dτ or y(t)=∫0u(τ)h(t-τ)dτ,but get something like 0 or -0.192. I guess I dealt with the u(τ) or u(t-τ) in the integral wrong as I'm not sure how to deal with it in an integral. I know that u(t) might affect the limit of the integral but I'm not sure how.(p.s.the∫ part above means integrate from ∞ to 0, if that causes any confusion)
    Any help or advise would be really appreciated as I've been bothered by this for quite some time.Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2015 #2

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Let ##h(t) = 3t e^{-4t}## and ##u(t)## be the unit step function, then:

$$(h * u)(t) = \int_0^{\infty} h(x) u(t-x) \space dx = 3 \int_0^{0.25} x e^{-4x} \space dx$$

Integration by parts will yield the answer.

4. May 2, 2015 #3
    Thank you for your reply, it helped me find out where I went wrong in my approach to the solution. I changed the limit to infinity to 0.25 instead of 0.25 to 0 when evaluating (h*u)(t). Thanks again much appreciated.

5. May 6, 2015 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Actually, the complete convolution integral limits are -∞ to +∞. But the lower limit changes to zero because your h(τ) = 0, τ < 0, and the upper limit changes to t since U(t-τ) = 0 for τ > t. So then v(t) = 3∫0t τ e-4τ
    and you can let t = 0.25 for your particular problem after performing the definite integral.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted