Step response time of control system

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of step response time in a temperature control process and how it relates to the selection of a temperature sensor. The step response time refers to the amount of time it takes for a system to reach its steady state after an instantaneous change in input. There are other attributes of a step response, such as settling time, rise time, and percent overshoot. The maximum value of the sensor time-constant to be looked for is determined by the first-order response with a step response time of 12 seconds. Ultimately, the solution provided by Mick of t = 12/5 = 2.4 seconds is deemed correct.
kampftrimker

Homework Statement

I'm having a slight problem with the question below.

A temperature control process has a first-order response with a step response time of 12 seconds. In selecting a temperature sensor for the control system for the process, for what maximum value of sensor time-constant would you be looking?

My question is what is step response time?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Is it the time the process reaches its maximum value, if so then would the time constant (of the process) be
t = 12/5 =2.4 s

Thanks
Mick

Physics news on Phys.org
cpscdave said:
Take a look at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Step_response

If I recall correctly step response is the amount of time that the system takes to reach its steady state (within 10%).

That is the settling time of the step response.

The step response is how a system responds to an instantaneous change in input.

there are a few other attributes of a step response such as rise time and percent overshoot.

kampftrimker said:

Homework Statement

I'm having a slight problem with the question below.

A temperature control process has a first-order response with a step response time of 12 seconds. In selecting a temperature sensor for the control system for the process, for what maximum value of sensor time-constant would you be looking?

My question is what is step response time?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Is it the time the process reaches its maximum value, if so then would the time constant (of the process) be
t = 12/5 =2.4 s

Thanks
Mick

I believe your solution is correct

Thanks for the replies, they have helped me understand what is going on.

Thanks again

Mick

What is a step response time?

A step response time is the time it takes for a control system to reach its final output value after a step input is applied. It is an important measure of the system's performance and can indicate the system's stability and speed of response.

How is step response time calculated?

Step response time is typically calculated by measuring the time it takes for the system's output to reach a certain percentage (usually 90% or 95%) of its final value. This can be done by analyzing the system's response graphically or through mathematical calculations.

What factors can affect the step response time of a control system?

The step response time of a control system can be affected by various factors, including the system's type (such as first-order or second-order), its transfer function, the presence of delays or time lags, and the controller's settings (such as gain and time constants).

Why is step response time important in control system design?

The step response time is an important performance measure in control system design as it can indicate the system's stability and speed of response. A shorter step response time generally means a more stable and responsive system, which is desirable in most control applications.

How can the step response time of a control system be improved?

The step response time of a control system can be improved by optimizing the system's design, such as choosing a suitable controller type and tuning its parameters. Additionally, reducing any delays or time lags in the system and minimizing external disturbances can also help improve the step response time.