Calculating the velocity of muons as they leave an accelerator. (Info is given)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Pinchy444
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Please refer to the link below for the problem statement and known data.

http://imgur.com/1CQPk

Calculate the velocity of the muons as they leave the accelerator.
From my understanding, I must manipulate the Time Dilation equation in such a way so as to make velocity 'v' the subject of the equation. So far I haven't been able to manipulate and can't think of any other methods I can use to find the muons velocity. (Im assuming its value is close the the speed of light

Please note, Unfortunately I do not have answers, just marking guidelines which don't help me at all. Any help will be appreciated.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Δt = 1/√(1-v^2/c^2) * Δt_p

When v = 0, Δt = Δt_p = 2.2 μs

When the muon is moving, Δt = 5.0 μs, v is unknown, Δt_p = 2.2 μs.

You should be able to algebraically solve for v and plug in the values.