What is the Mean Lifetime of Muons?

In summary, the conversation is about an experiment to determine the mean lifetime of muons using a collected data in a histogram. The equation y(t)=Ne^(-t/τ) is mentioned, where τ is the mean lifetime and N is the initial amount of muons. The attempt at a solution includes plotting a trendline in excel and using the equation dy/dt=Ne^(-t/τ)*(-1/τ), but neither yielded useful results. The conversation also discusses the expected slope for ln(y) and ln(dy/dt) when plotting the data. Finally, the conversation mentions that the counts in the histogram represent the activity (A) of the sample and the mean lifetime is the inverse of the decay constant.
FlixB

Homework Statement

I am doing an experiment where I try to the determine the mean lifetime of muons. I collected enough data and I put it in a histogram (attached file), but I have no idea how to calculate the mean lifetime with this.

Homework Equations

y(t)=Ne^(-t/τ), where τ is the mean lifetime and N the initial amount of muons

The Attempt at a Solution

I plotted a trendline in excel and got a line with the formula y=-4.85ln(x)+10.637, which wasn't very helpful.
Because the histogram shows the amount of muons that decays and not the amount of muons left I thought I should use dy/dt=Ne^(-t/τ)*(-1/τ), but this hasn't gotten me any closer either.

Attachments

• Grafiek.jpg
    Grafiek.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 391
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Flix, welcome to PF :smile:

This fitted line has a slope for ln(y) . Did you check what you expect for the slope of the line obtained when plotting ln(dy/dt) ?

The counts is in effect the activity, A, of the sample.
The mean life of the muons is the inverse of the decay constant.

What is the mean lifetime of muons?

The mean lifetime of muons is approximately 2.2 microseconds, or 2.2 x 10^-6 seconds.

How is the mean lifetime of muons determined?

The mean lifetime of muons is determined through experiments that measure the decay rate of muons. This involves creating a large number of muons and measuring how many of them decay within a given time interval.

Why is the mean lifetime of muons important?

The mean lifetime of muons is important because it helps us understand the fundamental properties of particles and their interactions. It also has practical applications, such as in medical imaging and particle accelerator technology.

What factors can affect the mean lifetime of muons?

The mean lifetime of muons can be affected by factors such as the surrounding environment, the energy of the muon, and the presence of other particles. It can also be influenced by the muon's spin and the strength of its interactions with other particles.

Is the mean lifetime of muons constant?

No, the mean lifetime of muons is not constant. It can vary slightly depending on the experimental conditions and the properties of the muon. However, the average value of the mean lifetime is considered to be a fundamental constant of nature.